The Math Forum

Topic: What happened to fuzzy set theory
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 7, 2006 7:20 PM

C6L1V@shaw.ca

Re: What happened to fuzzy set theory

ediebur@rcn.com wrote:
> Fuzzy set theory was quite popular in the sense that it captured the
> popular imagination. I think Japan even built a microprocessor based on
> it. What happened?

It exploded, It is applied in many areas such as camera focussing,
controllers of all types, etc. Just do a simple Google search to see
the vast variety of applications that have been suggested or
implemented already. Having said that, I must admit that I am still a
skeptic. At a conference, I once discussed with a control systems
expert the reason why fuzzy controllers are used and sometimes have
performance that exceeds that of ordinary controllers. His claim (and I
have no independent verification of this) is that fuzzy controllers
tend to monitor the system very closely---more closely that typical
classical controllers---and so use better estimates of the "state".
Their use of better information results in better performance, or so he
said.

R.G. Vickson