The Math Forum

Topic: What happened to fuzzy set theory
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 7, 2006 7:20 PM

Proginoskes

Re: What happened to fuzzy set theory

C6L1V@shaw.ca wrote:
> ediebur@rcn.com wrote:
> > Fuzzy set theory was quite popular in the sense that it captured the
> > popular imagination. I think Japan even built a microprocessor based on
> > it. What happened?

> It exploded, It is applied in many areas such as camera focussing,
> controllers of all types, etc. Just do a simple Google search to see
> the vast variety of applications that have been suggested or
> implemented already. Having said that, I must admit that I am still a
> skeptic. At a conference, I once discussed with a control systems
> expert the reason why fuzzy controllers are used and sometimes have
> performance that exceeds that of ordinary controllers. His claim (and I
> have no independent verification of this) is that fuzzy controllers
> tend to monitor the system very closely---more closely that typical
> classical controllers---and so use better estimates of the "state".
> Their use of better information results in better performance, or so he
> said.

The only problem is that, in order to get something that works in the
physical realm, you need to assign specific values to some fuzzy
concepts. (A concept called "defuzzification".)

Fuzzy logic may be the best way to find these values, but in the end,
we're back at deterministic algorithms.

--- Christopher Heckman