The Math Forum

Topic: What happened to fuzzy set theory
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 7, 2006 7:20 PM

Han de Bruijn

Re: What happened to fuzzy set theory

Proginoskes wrote:

> The only problem is that, in order to get something that works in the
> physical realm, you need to assign specific values to some fuzzy
> concepts. (A concept called "defuzzification".)

So what?

> Fuzzy logic may be the best way to find these values, but in the end,
> we're back at deterministic algorithms.

Fuzzy logic _is_ deterministic. The difference with common logic is that
its values are not restricted to 0 xor 1 but assume anything in between:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_set

Han de Bruijn