Topic: Numeracy and literacy as analogs
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jul 19, 2006 12:50 PM

Ladnor Geissinger

From: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Registered: 12/4/04
Re: Numeracy and literacy as analogs

I am unclear how Mark expects his students to work out the problem he
mentions -- but I think I roughly agree that 'it's not fractions but
mostly notation'. But just where in the problem solving is a search for
meaning occurring, and when should they ask "what's the problem
asking me to do?"?
And what is being decoded or encoded and why in the following possible
path to a solution? Is this what you hope the students will do?

1. Abbreviate and name for clarity and instant apprehension the facts
that are given:
AgeJ = (1/2)*AgeT hence 2*AgeJ = AgeT
AgeM = (2/3)*AgeT hence 3*AgeM = 2*AgeT or (3/2)*AgeM = AgeT

2. Now note connections - relations between facts, guided by question
which asks for a relation between the ages of Mary and Jane:
4*AgeJ = 3*AgeM or 2*AgeJ = (3/2)*AgeM

3. So AgeJ = (3/4)*AgeM or AgeJ = (1/2)*(3/2)*AgeM

Finally, if you wish to using fractions and division one could do
something like this for another version:
AgeJ/AgeM = [(1/2)*AgeT] /[(2/3)*AgeT] = (1/2) / (2/3)
=(3/6) / (4/6) = 3/4

Would one of these seem more agreeable to your students than another?

--
Ladnor Geissinger
Prof. of Mathematics

ladnor@email.unc.edu