The Math Forum

Topic: What happened to fuzzy set theory
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 7, 2006 7:20 PM

Proginoskes

Re: What happened to fuzzy set theory

Proginoskes wrote:
> C6L1V@shaw.ca wrote:
> > ediebur@rcn.com wrote:
> > > Fuzzy set theory was quite popular in the sense that it captured the
> > > popular imagination. I think Japan even built a microprocessor based on
> > > it. What happened?

> > It exploded, It is applied in many areas such as camera focussing,
> > controllers of all types, etc. Just do a simple Google search to see
> > the vast variety of applications that have been suggested or
> > implemented already. Having said that, I must admit that I am still a
> > skeptic. At a conference, I once discussed with a control systems
> > expert the reason why fuzzy controllers are used and sometimes have
> > performance that exceeds that of ordinary controllers. His claim (and I
> > have no independent verification of this) is that fuzzy controllers
> > tend to monitor the system very closely---more closely that typical
> > classical controllers---and so use better estimates of the "state".
> > Their use of better information results in better performance, or so he
> > said.

> The only problem is that, in order to get something that works in the
> physical realm, you need to assign specific values to some fuzzy
> concepts. (A concept called "defuzzification".)
>
> Fuzzy logic may be the best way to find these values, but in the end,
> we're back at deterministic algorithms.

As a couple of posters have pointed out, "deterministic" is the wrong
word above. I should have said something like "traditional logic"
instead.

Also, the above represent opinions formed only from reading Bart
Kosko's _Fuzzy Thinking_. He didn't seem to really "sell" me on the
idea of fuzzy logic in that book.

--- Christopher Heckman