Topic: Isoplot
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 12, 2006 9:39 AM

Old Mac User

Re: Isoplot

Kenny:

Everything Dorian Shainin does is "by the seat of his pants". When
subjected to tests to see how well they work, some work rather well and
some are very poor.

I've "deprogrammed" a lot of people away from Shainin methods,
especially isoplots.
While there's nothing fundamentally wrong with isoplots, they are
somewhat "iffy". Basically, isoplots are attempting to estimate
"components of variance"... breaking down the total variation (total
variance) into its component parts. There are better ways to do this.
I did some work to test "how good are isoplots" many years ago, and
decided that I'd not teach isoplots in the corporation where I worked.
The effort required to teach isoplots and "make them stick" was just
not appropriate. So I went another route using software that I wrote
and distributed for all who cared to use it.... and of course taught
how to use it.

All of Shainin's methods are touted as being appropriate for use on a
factory floor. That is... can be taught to just about anyone. In the
1950s (when Shainin began teaching these methods... actually pick them
up from another person whose name I cannot recall, but he worked at
Gillette) these concepts seemed to be revolutionary. By the mid-1960s
their value had degraded because alternative methods are better. In
particular, his concepts for "finding the red X" are quite "iffy". But
that's another story.