The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Peter Webb

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

<malbrain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Norman Wildberger wrote:
>> I have posted an article at
>> http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~norman/views.htm
>> that has caused a bit of discussion in some logic circles.

Well, the discussion that I have seen - on this newsgroup (sci.math or
sci.logic, I can't remember) - is that it is bullshit. Much of it admittedly
from me.

>> My claims in short: 1) most of `elementary mathematics' is not
>> sufficiently
>> well understood by the mathematical establishment, leading to weaknesses
>> in
>> K12 and college curriculum,

I don't know about the "mathematical establishment" (as a whole) not
understanding "elementary mathematics", but your own writings on set theory
and the axiomatic method don't fill me with confidence.

2) the current theory of `real numbers' is a
>> joke, and sidesteps the crucial issue of understanding the computational
>> specification of the continuum, and

This is pure crank stuff. Describing a huge and extremely rigorously defined
area such as the construction of the Reals as a "joke" without any
mathematical justification is flakey at best; the phrase "computational
specification of the continuum" (a phrase that gets exactly zero matches on
Google) is crank babble.

3) `infinite sets' are a metaphysical
>> concept, and unnecessary for correct mathematics.

No, infinite sets are a mathematical concept, not unlike perfect circles and
the exact value of the sqrt(2).

Tell me, is the set of all natural numbers finite or infinite? Or if you
can't form the set, why not?

What about the set of all points on a perfect circle (ie all solutions to
x^2 + y^2 = 1). Finite or infinite? Or don't you believe that I can define a
set as being all points on the unit circle. If not, why not? What is wrong
with {(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 = 1} as a set? Infinite or finite?

Your paper has no mathematical content, and is pure crank stuff. The stuff
about Axioms somehow being irrelevant to mathematics is just your own
philosophical ramblings. Surprising, since you seem to accept the axioms of
group theory, but not set theory (because they are too complicated and too
abstract for your liking)? Do groups with an infinite number of elements
exist, by the way?

I would have ignored this post - and previous posts on your "mathematical
insights" - in much the same way that I ignore posts about "Einstein was
wrong" or "Cantor's diagonal proof is flawed" - as pure crank material. The
only reason I haven't, is that you are a mathematics teacher, and it worries
me that somebody (eg your students) may be being taught this stuff about set
theory.

Tell me, do you accept that there are models for the ZF Axioms if we drop
Axiom 6 ? Do you accept that there is a model for the ZF axioms if we
include an additional axiom:

Exists S such that { } is an element of S, and x elements of S implies x
union {x) is an element of S ???
(informally known as the axiom of infinity)

If you don't, I can certainly show you a model (the von-Neumann construction
of N).

How is this axiom fundamentally different from the other axioms?

>> Analysts and set theorists are welcome to send me reasoned responses.
>>
>> Assoc Prof N J Wildberger
>> School of Maths
>> UNSW

> I've added sci.logic to your posting. karl m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger