The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

lesterzick@cableone.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:11:34 +1000, "Peter Webb"
<webbfamily-diespamdie@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

><malbrain@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Norman Wildberger wrote:
>>> I have posted an article at
>>> http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~norman/views.htm
>>> that has caused a bit of discussion in some logic circles.
>>>

>Well, the discussion that I have seen - on this newsgroup (sci.math or
>sci.logic, I can't remember) - is that it is bullshit. Much of it admittedly
>from me.
>

>>> My claims in short: 1) most of `elementary mathematics' is not
>>> sufficiently
>>> well understood by the mathematical establishment, leading to weaknesses
>>> in
>>> K12 and college curriculum,

>I don't know about the "mathematical establishment" (as a whole) not
>understanding "elementary mathematics", but your own writings on set theory
>and the axiomatic method don't fill me with confidence.
>
>2) the current theory of `real numbers' is a

>>> joke, and sidesteps the crucial issue of understanding the computational
>>> specification of the continuum, and

>This is pure crank stuff. Describing a huge and extremely rigorously defined
>area such as the construction of the Reals as a "joke" without any
>mathematical justification is flakey at best; the phrase "computational
>specification of the continuum" (a phrase that gets exactly zero matches on
>Google) is crank babble.
>

>3) `infinite sets' are a metaphysical

>>> concept, and unnecessary for correct mathematics.
>
>No, infinite sets are a mathematical concept, not unlike perfect circles and
>the exact value of the sqrt(2).
>
>Tell me, is the set of all natural numbers finite or infinite? Or if you
>can't form the set, why not?
>
>What about the set of all points on a perfect circle (ie all solutions to
>x^2 + y^2 = 1).

Well technically of course all solutions you point out define a
perfect sphere not a perfect circle.

> Finite or infinite? Or don't you believe that I can define a
>set as being all points on the unit circle. If not, why not? What is wrong
>with {(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 = 1} as a set? Infinite or finite?
>
>Your paper has no mathematical content, and is pure crank stuff. The stuff
>about Axioms somehow being irrelevant to mathematics is just your own
>philosophical ramblings. Surprising, since you seem to accept the axioms of
>group theory, but not set theory (because they are too complicated and too
>abstract for your liking)? Do groups with an infinite number of elements
>exist, by the way?
>
>I would have ignored this post - and previous posts on your "mathematical
>insights" - in much the same way that I ignore posts about "Einstein was
>wrong" or "Cantor's diagonal proof is flawed" - as pure crank material. The
>only reason I haven't, is that you are a mathematics teacher, and it worries
>me that somebody (eg your students) may be being taught this stuff about set
>theory.
>
>Tell me, do you accept that there are models for the ZF Axioms if we drop
>Axiom 6 ? Do you accept that there is a model for the ZF axioms if we
>include an additional axiom:
>
>Exists S such that { } is an element of S, and x elements of S implies x
>union {x) is an element of S ???
>(informally known as the axiom of infinity)
>
>If you don't, I can certainly show you a model (the von-Neumann construction
>of N).
>
>How is this axiom fundamentally different from the other axioms?
>

>>> Analysts and set theorists are welcome to send me reasoned responses.
>>>
>>> Assoc Prof N J Wildberger
>>> School of Maths
>>> UNSW

>> I've added sci.logic to your posting. karl m

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?