The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Gerry Myerson

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <44b5abd7$0$1207$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
"Peter Webb" <webbfamily-diespamdie@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> <malbrain@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Norman Wildberger wrote:
> >> I have posted an article at
> >> http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~norman/views.htm
> >> that has caused a bit of discussion in some logic circles.
> >>

> Well, the discussion that I have seen - on this newsgroup (sci.math or
> sci.logic, I can't remember) - is that it is bullshit.

Ad hominem.

> >> My claims in short: 1) most of `elementary mathematics' is not
> >> sufficiently well understood by the mathematical establishment,
> >> leading to weaknesses in K12 and college curriculum,

> I don't know about the "mathematical establishment" (as a whole) not
> understanding "elementary mathematics", but your own writings on set theory
> and the axiomatic method don't fill me with confidence.

Ad hominem.

> 2) the current theory of `real numbers' is a
> >> joke, and sidesteps the crucial issue of understanding the computational
> >> specification of the continuum, and

> This is pure crank stuff. Describing a huge and extremely rigorously defined
> area such as the construction of the Reals as a "joke" without any
> mathematical justification is flakey at best; the phrase "computational
> specification of the continuum" (a phrase that gets exactly zero matches on
> Google) is crank babble.

The mathematical justification for describing the current theory of
real numbers as a joke is given in the paper. You may not find it
convincing - I may not find it convincing - but it's there.

"Crank babble" is ad hominem.

> 3) `infinite sets' are a metaphysical
> >> concept, and unnecessary for correct mathematics.
>
> No, infinite sets are a mathematical concept, not unlike perfect circles and
> the exact value of the sqrt(2).
>
> Tell me, is the set of all natural numbers finite or infinite? Or if you
> can't form the set, why not?

I think Norm would say, 1) you can't form the set (and Norm's reasons
are given in the article), and 2) you don't need to - there's no good
mathematics you can do with the completed infinite set that you can't
do without it.

> What about the set of all points on a perfect circle (ie all solutions to
> x^2 + y^2 = 1). Finite or infinite? Or don't you believe that I can define a
> set as being all points on the unit circle. If not, why not? What is wrong
> with {(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 = 1} as a set? Infinite or finite?

Again, I think Norm is arguing against the completed infinite. For
reasons discussed in some detail in the article, you can't (he contends)
sensibly write about the set of all natural numbers, or any of these
other sets that most mathematicians are quite happy with - moreover,
you don't lose anything valuable if you discard them.

> Your paper has no mathematical content, and is pure crank stuff. The stuff
> about Axioms somehow being irrelevant to mathematics is just your own
> philosophical ramblings. Surprising, since you seem to accept the axioms of
> group theory, but not set theory (because they are too complicated and too
> abstract for your liking)? Do groups with an infinite number of elements
> exist, by the way?

More ad hominem. Norm accepts the axioms of group theory as the
definition of what a group is, and has no problem with them because
he can construct (finite) models of them. He argues that the axioms
of set theory (in particular, ZFC) don't define what a set is and
don't lead to sensible constructions of infinite sets.

> I would have ignored this post - and previous posts on your "mathematical
> insights" - in much the same way that I ignore posts about "Einstein was
> wrong" or "Cantor's diagonal proof is flawed" - as pure crank material. The
> only reason I haven't, is that you are a mathematics teacher, and it worries
> me that somebody (eg your students) may be being taught this stuff about set
> theory.

I'm not sure how you think your method of not ignoring Norm's post
will prevent his students from being taught his ideas.

> Tell me, do you accept that there are models for the ZF Axioms if we drop
> Axiom 6 ? Do you accept that there is a model for the ZF axioms if we
> include an additional axiom:
>
> Exists S such that { } is an element of S, and x elements of S implies x
> union {x) is an element of S ???
> (informally known as the axiom of infinity)
>
> If you don't, I can certainly show you a model (the von-Neumann construction
> of N).
>
> How is this axiom fundamentally different from the other axioms?

It seems to me Norm is making several points, two of which are
that ZFC sucks and that mathematics doesn't need axioms in the first
place. Your suggestions may or may not have any bearing on the first
point, but they don't address the second.

I'm dismayed by the level of vituperation in some of the posts in
this thread. Norm is not presenting a high-school algebra proof of
Fermat's Last Theorem, nor is he insisting that the reals are countable
because you can always take that real number that you left off your
list and stick it on at the end. He's adopting a finitistic, or
constructivist, or computational view of mathematics. It's an unpopular
view, it doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I don't see the need
to go ballistic in response.

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)

Date Subject Author