The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Kevin Karn

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gene Ward Smith wrote:
> Gerry Myerson wrote:
>

> > I'm dismayed by the level of vituperation in some of the posts in
> > this thread.

> Norm starts out his paper, which I didn't read because the beginning
> was so extremely unpromising, in what seems to me to be a very
> insulting way. If he has ideas he wants to be taken seriously I suggest
> he remove the sneers directed at set theorists, who apparently are
> beneath contempt, and wild remarks about physics and the like. Present
> a reasoned argument in a reasonable way and people are likely to react
> more positively, and less likely to conclude that you are an idiot and
> simply quit reading.
>

> > He's adopting a finitistic, or
> > constructivist, or computational view of mathematics.

> He's also spitting on people who don't. I think it is terribly arrogant
> to dismiss people like
> Shelah or Woodin with such utter contempt like this,

Hugh Woodin is a con-artist/leech who needs to get a real job.
Ideally, what we need to do with people like Woodin, is haul them into
the dock for public hearings.

"Where did that $1 million in federal grants you sucked down in the
last 15 years go, Mr. Woodin? What were the practical spin-offs? Why
should we fund you, as opposed to someone working on real-world
problems, like bird flu etc.? What practical benefit does your research
have? We're going to need an explanation, Mr. Woodin, otherwise we
can't sign the check. We simply can't fund research which has NO
practical applications."

It's worse than the toilet seat scandals. When the government buys a
toilet seat for $1 million, at least you get the toilet seat. When you
give Hugh Woodin $1 million, you get nothing of practical value, not
even a toilet seat. That public money should be rerouted to people
doing work which actually benefits society. If you wanna do theology,
do it on your own dime.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?