The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Peter Webb

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

"Gerry Myerson" <gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai.i2u4email> wrote in message
> In article <44b5abd7$0$1207$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily-diespamdie@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

>> <malbrain@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Well, the discussion that I have seen - on this newsgroup (sci.math or
>> sci.logic, I can't remember) - is that it is bullshit.

> Ad hominem.

Not ad hominem. I talk about his post, not him as a person.

>> I don't know about the "mathematical establishment" (as a whole) not
>> understanding "elementary mathematics", but your own writings on set
>> theory
>> and the axiomatic method don't fill me with confidence.

> Ad hominem.

His argument is ad hominem. Mine is just a cheap shot.

>> 2) the current theory of `real numbers' is a

>> This is pure crank stuff. Describing a huge and extremely rigorously
>> defined
>> area such as the construction of the Reals as a "joke" without any
>> mathematical justification is flakey at best; the phrase "computational
>> specification of the continuum" (a phrase that gets exactly zero matches
>> on
>> Google) is crank babble.

> The mathematical justification for describing the current theory of
> real numbers as a joke is given in the paper. You may not find it
> convincing - I may not find it convincing - but it's there.
>
> "Crank babble" is ad hominem.

Not ad hominem. I talk about his post, not him as a person.

>> 3) `infinite sets' are a metaphysical
>>
>> No, infinite sets are a mathematical concept, not unlike perfect circles
>> and
>> the exact value of the sqrt(2).
>>
>> Tell me, is the set of all natural numbers finite or infinite? Or if you
>> can't form the set, why not?

> I think Norm would say, 1) you can't form the set (and Norm's reasons
> are given in the article), and 2) you don't need to - there's no good
> mathematics you can do with the completed infinite set that you can't
> do without it.

Ohh, so there's no "good" mathematics that can be done with the axiom of
infinity that can't be done without. So infinite set theory is not "good"
mathematics? How about computability theory and Turing Machines? Not "good"
mathematics?

>> What about the set of all points on a perfect circle (ie all solutions to
>> x^2 + y^2 = 1). Finite or infinite? Or don't you believe that I can
>> define a
>> set as being all points on the unit circle. If not, why not? What is
>> wrong
>> with {(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 = 1} as a set? Infinite or finite?

> Again, I think Norm is arguing against the completed infinite. For
> reasons discussed in some detail in the article, you can't (he contends)
> sensibly write about the set of all natural numbers, or any of these
> other sets that most mathematicians are quite happy with - moreover,
> you don't lose anything valuable if you discard them.
>

>> Your paper has no mathematical content, and is pure crank stuff. The
>> stuff
>> about Axioms somehow being irrelevant to mathematics is just your own
>> philosophical ramblings. Surprising, since you seem to accept the axioms
>> of
>> group theory, but not set theory (because they are too complicated and
>> too
>> abstract for your liking)? Do groups with an infinite number of elements
>> exist, by the way?

> More ad hominem.

Not ad hominem. I talk about his post, not him as a person.

>Norm accepts the axioms of group theory as the
> definition of what a group is, and has no problem with them because
> he can construct (finite) models of them. He argues that the axioms
> of set theory (in particular, ZFC) don't define what a set is and
> don't lead to sensible constructions of infinite sets.
>

>> I would have ignored this post - and previous posts on your "mathematical
>> insights" - in much the same way that I ignore posts about "Einstein was
>> wrong" or "Cantor's diagonal proof is flawed" - as pure crank material.
>> The
>> only reason I haven't, is that you are a mathematics teacher, and it
>> worries
>> me that somebody (eg your students) may be being taught this stuff about
>> set
>> theory.

> I'm not sure how you think your method of not ignoring Norm's post
> will prevent his students from being taught his ideas.

Well, maybe if he attempted to justify his ideas, and decided he couldn't,
maybe he would drop them.

>> Tell me, do you accept that there are models for the ZF Axioms if we drop
>> Axiom 6 ? Do you accept that there is a model for the ZF axioms if we
>> include an additional axiom:
>>
>> Exists S such that { } is an element of S, and x elements of S implies x
>> union {x) is an element of S ???
>> (informally known as the axiom of infinity)
>>
>> If you don't, I can certainly show you a model (the von-Neumann
>> construction
>> of N).
>>
>> How is this axiom fundamentally different from the other axioms?

> It seems to me Norm is making several points, two of which are
> that ZFC sucks and that mathematics doesn't need axioms in the first
> place. Your suggestions may or may not have any bearing on the first
> point, but they don't address the second.

His "paper" is on ZFC. His "philosophy" that axioms are not needed is
secondary. I also address this philosophy, by asking whether axioms are
needed in group theory.

> I'm dismayed by the level of vituperation in some of the posts in
> this thread. Norm is not presenting a high-school algebra proof of
> Fermat's Last Theorem, nor is he insisting that the reals are countable
> because you can always take that real number that you left off your
> list and stick it on at the end. He's adopting a finitistic, or
> constructivist, or computational view of mathematics. It's an unpopular
> view, it doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I don't see the need
> to go ballistic in response.

Because his "paper"s that I have seen either display a profound lack of
knowledge of set theory, or are deliberately false/misleading. The guy is a
professor of mathematics. I want to know which it is. I know you must know
him professionally, which is presumably why you are concerned. I would hope
that he can defend his ideas and papers for himself.

So lets go. These are neccessarily out of context, but I don't think this
misrepresents his position:

For each of these I would expect the statement is true, it is wrong out of
Norman's ingorance (eg crank material), or it is wrong and he knows it is
wrong (deliberately misleading):

--------------------------
To get you used to the modern magic of Cauchy sequences, here is one I just
made up:

[2/3, 2/3, 2/3 ...]
Anyone want to guess what the limit is? Oh, you want some more information
first? The initial billion terms are all 2/3. Now would you like to guess?
No, you want more information. All right, the billion and first term is 2/3
Now would you like to guess? No, you want more information. Fine, the next
trillion terms are all 2/3 You are getting tired of asking for more
information, so you want me to tell you the pattern once and for all? Ha Ha!
Modern mathematics doesn't require it! There doesn't need to be a pattern,
and in this case, there isn't, because I say so. You are getting tired of
this game, so you guess Good effort, but sadly you are wrong. The actual
answer is -17. That's right, after the first trillion and billion and one
terms, the entries start doing really wild and crazy things, which I don't
need to describe to you, and then `eventually' they start heading towards
but how they do so and at what rate is not known by anyone. Isn't modern
religion fun?
---------------------------

Compare and contrast:

To get you used to the modern magic of decimal notation, here is one I just
made up:
0.666...

Anyone want to guess what the limit is? Oh, you want some more information
first? The initial billion digits are all 6. Now would you like to guess?
No, you want more information. All right, the billion and first digit is 6.
Now would you like to guess? No, you want more information. Fine, the next
trillion terms are all 6. You are getting tired of asking for more
information, so you want me to tell you the pattern once and for all? Ha Ha!
Modern mathematics doesn't require it! There doesn't need to be a pattern,
and in this case, there isn't, because I say so. You are getting tired of
this game, so you guess Good effort, but sadly you are wrong. The actual
answer is 2/3 - 10^billion. That's right, after the first trillion and
billion and one terms, the entries start doing really wild and crazy things,
which I don't need to describe to you. Isn't modern religion fun?

These seem exactly the same argument to me. True, crank or deliberately
misleading?

How about:

---------------------------
Now that you are comfortable with the definition of real numbers, perhaps
you would like to know how to do arithmetic with them? How to add them, and
multiply them? And perhaps you might want to check that once you have
defined these operations, they obey the properties you would like, such as
associativity etc. Well, all I can say is---good luck. If you write this all
down coherently, you will certainly be the first to have done so.
--------------------------

True, crank or deliberately misleading?

On Cauchy sequences:

--------------------
On top of the manifold ugliness and complexity of the situation, you will be
continually dogged by the difficulty that in all these sequences there does
not have to be a pattern---they are allowed to be completely `arbitrary'.
That means you are unable to say when two given real numbers are the same,
or when a particular arithmetical statement involving real numbers is
correct.
----------------------

True, crank or deliberately misleading?

-----------------------
A set of rational numbers is essentially a sequence of zeros and ones, and
such a sequence is specified properly when you have a finite function or
computer program which generates it. Otherwise `it' is not accessible in a
finite universe.
-------------------------

(My mind boggles at what he thinks he means here).

True, crank or deliberately misleading?

--------------------------
Even the `computable real numbers' are quite misunderstood. Most
mathematicians reading this paper suffer from the impression that the
`computable real numbers' are countable, and that they are not complete. As
I mention in my recent book, this is quite wrong. Think clearly about the
subject for a few days, and you will see that the computable real numbers
are not countable , and are complete.
-------------------------

Oh, my God. He has written a book on it. I hope its not part of the UNSW
pure mathemtics syllabus.

True, crank or deliberately misleading?

He then goes on:
-------------------------
Think for a few more days, and you will be able to see how to make these
statements without any reference to `infinite sets', and that this suffices
for Cantor's proof that not all irrational numbers are algebraic.
-------------------------

Sorry, I am having a lot of trouble understanding how I can think about
"all" irrational numbers without thinking about an infinite set. I have even
more trouble comparing the cardinality of "all computable numbers" and "all
algebriac numbers" without using set theoretic constructions.

True, crank or deliberately misleading?

------------------------------------
In my studies of Lie theory, hypergroups and geometry, there has never been
a point at which I have pondered---should I assume this postulate about the
mathematical world, or that postulate?
---------------------------------

Hmm. Never seen a Group theorem that assumes a Group is commutative?

-----------------------------
but the nature of the mathematical world that I investigate appears to me to
be absolutely fixed. Either G2 has an eleven dimensional irreducible
representation or it doesn't (in fact it doesn't).
-----------------------------

The guy is a group theory expert. Presumably he has heard of the Whitehead
problem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehead_problem

True, crank or deliberately misleading?

> --
> Gerry Myerson (gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)

I could go on, almost every sentence is a jewel of mininformation or
ignorance.

He walks like a crank, talks like a crank, and sqwaks like a crank. No
problem, unless you also run around telling people you are a Professor of
Mathematics.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?