The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

tez_h@nospam.yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gerry Myerson wrote:
> In article <44b5abd7$0$1207$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily-diespamdie@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

[snip]

> > Well, the discussion that I have seen - on this newsgroup (sci.math or
> > sci.logic, I can't remember) - is that it is bullshit.

> Ad hominem.

[snip]

> > I don't know about the "mathematical establishment" (as a whole) not
> > understanding "elementary mathematics", but your own writings on set theory
> > and the axiomatic method don't fill me with confidence.

> Ad hominem.

[snip]

> > This is pure crank stuff. Describing a huge and extremely rigorously defined
> > area such as the construction of the Reals as a "joke" without any
> > mathematical justification is flakey at best; the phrase "computational
> > specification of the continuum" (a phrase that gets exactly zero matches on
> > Google) is crank babble.

> The mathematical justification for describing the current theory of
> real numbers as a joke is given in the paper. You may not find it
> convincing - I may not find it convincing - but it's there.
>
> "Crank babble" is ad hominem.

[snip]

> > Your paper has no mathematical content, and is pure crank stuff. The stuff
> > about Axioms somehow being irrelevant to mathematics is just your own
> > philosophical ramblings. Surprising, since you seem to accept the axioms of
> > group theory, but not set theory (because they are too complicated and too
> > abstract for your liking)? Do groups with an infinite number of elements
> > exist, by the way?

> More ad hominem. Norm accepts the axioms of group theory as the
> definition of what a group is, and has no problem with them because
> he can construct (finite) models of them. He argues that the axioms
> of set theory (in particular, ZFC) don't define what a set is and
> don't lead to sensible constructions of infinite sets.

An ad hominem fallacy is of the form:

Person P made argument A

Person P is ignorant/poor/gay/female/stupid/handicapped/etc

Therefore argument A is invalid.

It is *not* ad hominem to say:

Person Q made argument B

Argument B is incoherent/lacks reasoning/lacks evidence/is purely
assertion/is muddled/makes categorical errors/equivocates/is
nonsense/is irrelevant/etc

Therefore person Q is ignorant/poorly
read/uninformed/unreasonable/stupid/irrelevant/etc

Sure, such a statement may be insulting. But it isn't invalid.

[snip]

> --
> Gerry Myerson (gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)

-Tez