The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Hatto von Aquitanien wrote:

> I know this was addressed to someone else, but I would also
> like to offer my thoughts on this matter. I contend that
> mathematics _is_ constrained by physical reality. The
> underlying logic which determines mathematics is a
> manifestation of physical reality. I believe what
> you are asserting is that mathematics should not be
> required to produce physically measurable results as
> a test of its validity. I really have to wonder if
> such a requirement is unrealistic. It's interesting
> to observe that some people are wont to point to the
> fact that formal proofs can be verified by computer programs.

I've often wondered about similar issues myself.

For one thing, we could argue that there is a difference
between our interpretation of certain mathematical notions,
such as completed infinite sets, and what we're actually
doing, which is writing finitely many symbols down on
paper in certain ways. There's no reason for which I can
see that, because we can write certain symbols down in
certain ways, that certain interpretations of what we're
doing, above and beyond this, must follow. Add to this
the fact that the act of writing down these symbols is
only possible by the nature of our reality. Or at least,
I don't see how we could prove its independence from our
reality in a way that we would understand, because it seems
to me that any such metaproof must also be within, and
hence a feature of, our reality.

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
7/12/06