The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Hatto von Aquitanien

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

guenther vonKnakspot wrote:

> Hatto von Aquitanien wrote:
>This
> is not howewer the flawed reasoning that I am refering to. I am talking
> much baser contentions made by the ill educated like denying the
> existence of certain mathematical objects on the ground that they can
> not be physically constructed. An example would be the set of Natural
> Numbers whichs existence is denied because there are not sufficient
> atoms in the universe to build a tangible physical representation of
> it, or specific irrational numbers on on the same grounds pertaining to
> their decimal base representation.

I don't know that such an opinion is ill-educated or merely unpersuasive.
OTOH, I don't believe that is the essence of most objections to the concept
of infinite sets. For myself, I am willing to consider the existence of
infinite sets without much reservation. At the same time, I believe that
arguments and reasoning applicable to finite sets should be applied with
caution to infinite sets, and carefully scrutinized to determine if it
makes sense in any given instance.

>> that mathematics should not be required to produce physically measurable
>> results as a test of its validity. I really have to wonder if such a
>> requirement is unrealistic.

> If you make such a requirement, then you will not get very far. What is
> a physically measurable result that gives validity to the number 2 ? Or
> to the law of distributivity? or to the differentiability of a given
> function? Mathematical concepts have no consequences in physical
> reality and the laws of the physical universe have no consequence for
> mathematical concepts. (as long as we keep to the agreement I requested
> above).

I am not stating this conclusively, but consider Cantor's transfinite
induction, in comparison to the calculus of Newton and Leibnitz. We have
ample evidence that the results of differentiation and integration
correspond in many cases to physical experiments in convincing ways. Is
there any result from Cantor's theory which leads to a verifiable
prediction in terms of physical experiment?

That is merely one aspect of the idea that mathematics might be physically
testable. Another is whether the actual reasoning can be reproduced or
verified using computers.

>> It's interesting to observe that some people
>> are wont to point to the fact that formal proofs can be verified by
>> computer programs.
>>
>> I note that you object to the idea that "mathematics is dependent on
>> computability". I don't know if you mean that exclusively in terms of
>> solving equations and/or finding approximate numerical solutions, or if
>> you also object to the idea the mathematical proofs should be machine
>> verifiable. I curious to know what you think of this:
>> http://metamath.org/

> I agree with the idea that mathematical proofs should be machine
> verifiable; as long as this is a statement about computer science and
> not about mathematics.

One might argue that this is merely using the computer as a tool.
--
Nil conscire sibi

Date Subject Author
7/12/06