The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

George Greene

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gerry Myerson wrote:

> More ad hominem.

Shut up. You are not a rhetoric major
and You Don't Know what "ad hominem" means.
The literal translation is "against the man" but that
does NOT mean that EVERY time somebody insults
a person, he is committing a sin of type "ad hominem".
What is going on here is an ARGUMENT. Arguments
are characterized by mutual attempts at LOGICAL rebuttal.
If you have logically demonstrated that somebody is flaunting
his ignorance and being a dipshit then it is NOT "ad hominem"
Or Any Other fallacy to point this out.

> Norm accepts the axioms of group theory as the
> definition of what a group is,

Shut up. You don't know Norm, either.
Norm attacks "logicians" and the axiomatic method
generally. IF he accepted axioms as legitimate for
defining things then he wouldn't have anything to argue about.

> and has no problem with them

Wrong.

> because he can construct (finite) models of them.

Obviously, he AND EVERYBODY ELSE can ALSO construct
INFINITE models of them -- AND HE DEALS with infinite
groups ALL THE TIME in his work.
So this is simply not a legitimate distinction.

> He argues that the axioms
> of set theory (in particular, ZFC) don't define what a set is

That is completely incoherent.
Since, in ZFC, EVERYthing is a set, the axioms of ZFC
could NOT POSSIBLY DO ANYTHING BUT define what
a set is.

> and don't lead to sensible constructions of infinite sets.

That is ridiculous too. He is not even saying that.
You need to quote him. What he DOES say is that
textbooks aren't much on defining what an infinite set is,
and he has looked. That just makes HIM look stupid.
Arthur Rubin and others have posted 5 different definitions
of infinite set, in case he was too stupid to find one.
More to the point, classical FOL IN GENERAL is NOT
constructive and one NEVER looks to the axioms themselves
to construct ANYthing -- the model construction language is
ALWAYS something DIFFERENT.

> It seems to me Norm is making several points, two of which are
> that ZFC sucks and that mathematics doesn't need axioms in the first
> place.

Well, now you are a lot closer to reading him rightly,
but you do need to understand that your 2nd point here (about
math not needing axioms in the first place) contradicts your point
above about Norm respecting the axioms of group theory because
he can construct finite models of them. Group theory is in fact
defined by its axioms. Norm canNOT simultaneously appreciate that
AND think that math doesn't need axioms. Neither can you.

> I'm dismayed by the level of vituperation in some of the posts in
> this thread.

Well, you shouldn't be.
That's what you get for farting in church. NW is presuming
to pontificate about something he has not studied.

> Norm is not presenting a high-school algebra proof of
> Fermat's Last Theorem, nor is he insisting that the reals are countable
> because you can always take that real number that you left off your
> list and stick it on at the end. He's adopting a finitistic, or
> constructivist, or computational view of mathematics.

He IS NOT, you IDIOT! IF he were doing that, he would've
actually GOOGLED "constructive mathematics" before presuming
to pontificate, and would've SAID something about it in his article!
NW * doesn't know SHIT * about constructive mathematics!

> It's an unpopular view,

And one that he has never heard of; the only thing that is even
MOTIVATING him to LEAN in that direction are the things
he DOES ACTUALLY TALK about in his article, things you
would've been WISE TO QUOTE, IF you were going to be
stupid enough to be attributing views to another person,
things like the failure of the profession at large to logically
ground its concepts. If this was what was actually bothering
him then (obviously) he should've been supporting axioms,
not attacking them.

> it doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I don't see the need
> to go ballistic in response.

The going ballistic is NOT in response to constructivism.
NW didn't cite Bishop or anybody who is trying to go that
way. He HIMSELF FIRST went ballistic vs. "logicians" by
calling them a priesthood. He embarrassed himself by sounding
like James Harris.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?