The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Gene Ward Smith

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> The view that mathematics should try to constrain itself to physical
> reality is, in my opinion, not a crackpot position.

It's a meaningless position unless you can give "confine itself to
physical reality" in connection to a subject which is not *about*
physical reality a meaning.

> Let me use an example. The mathematicians Wiener and Banach lived at
> about the same time. Banach chose a much more abstract direction to
> take his mathematics, looking at general properties of infinite
> dimensional normed vector spaces beyond Hilbert spaces and spaces of
> continuous or measurable function. Wiener looked more to real life
> applications, and building on the work of Einstein put the phenominum of
> Brownian motion onto a rigourous mathematical foundation. Many very
> talented mathematicians have studied Banach spaces, but it has proven to
> be a remarkably barren field. On the other hand Wiener's approach has
> led to the rich theory of stochastic calculus, which has proved
> extremely useful in studing the heat equation, harmonic functions, and
> even economics.

Stephen, I suggest you confine yourself to topics you know something
about, and cease spouting ignorant horseshit. A very famous
incident--so famous it makes it dead obvious you don't know what the
hell you are talking about--is Gelfand's proof of Wiener's theorem
using Banach algebras. Wiener had proven that if Fourier series on a
closed interval which converges absolutely to a function f such that f
has no zero on the interval, then 1/f also has an absolutely convergent
Fourier series on that interval. The proof was not easy, yet Gelfand
proves it in a few lines using the theory of Banach algebras.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger