The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Stephen Montgomery-Smith

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gene Ward Smith wrote:
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>

>>The view that mathematics should try to constrain itself to physical
>>reality is, in my opinion, not a crackpot position.

> It's a meaningless position unless you can give "confine itself to
> physical reality" in connection to a subject which is not *about*
> physical reality a meaning.

I disagree, but while I would otherwise be glad to continue this
interesting discussion...

> Stephen, I suggest you confine yourself to topics you know something
> about, and cease spouting ignorant horseshit.

...it simply isn't worth this kind of abuse. If you disagree with me
that's fine, but do so in a civilized manner.

> A very famous
> incident--so famous it makes it dead obvious you don't know what the
> hell you are talking about--is Gelfand's proof of Wiener's theorem
> using Banach algebras.

I do know what I am talking about. I have written papers in Banach
spaces and Banach algebras. For the purposes of this discussion (which
is not about the hard facts of math) these two fields are essentially
different.

Frankly I don't mind you thinking I am wrong, and engaging in a
civilized discussion about how I am wrong, but don't throw abuse at me
like this.

This is a discussion about the philosophy of math. Fankly I don't see
this discussion of worthy of anything more than having fun, and if it
ceases to be fun I don't want to be part of it.

Stephen

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?