The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Stephen Montgomery-Smith

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Hatto von Aquitanien wrote:
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>

>>Hatto von Aquitanien wrote:

>>>A good number of people can master concepts of mathematics sufficiently
>>>to solve difficult problems in, say, fluid mechanics without much grasp
>>>of set
>>>theory. That makes me wonder if set theory really is fundamental to
>>>mathematics. I ask what it is that underlies the pragmatic application
>>>of
>>>sophisticated mathematics. What are the intuitive assumptions these
>>>people
>>>have made, and how are they manipulating ideas? I believe what I'm
>>>asking is, what are the anthropological foundations of mathematics?

>>I have (tried) working in fluid dynamics for a number of years, and
>>certainly some sort of naive set theory is indispensible.

> I believe that it is vital to have an understanding of sets to the extent of
> knowing what a Ven diagram is, as well as what intersections, unions,
> complements, etc., are. But do I really need
>
> # 0 = { }
> # 1 = {0} = {{ }}
> # 2 = {0,1} = {0, {0}} = {{ }, {{ }}}
> # 3 = {0,1,2} = {0, {0}, {0, {0}}} = {{ }, {{ }}, {{ }, {{ }}}}
> ?
>
> 1+1=2, 2+1=3, 3+1=4,... or even 1,2,3,... seems more useful to me.
>

>>I already
>>indicated this in another post where I talked about problems in showing
>>which differential equations have unique solutions and which don't.
>>Basically anything beyond numerical simulations or solving simple
>>laminar flows requires sophisticated techniques that involve objects
>>much more abstract than the real numbers (namely things like measure
>>spaces and Besov spaces and things like that). A good example is the
>>result of Caffarelli, Kohn and Nirenberg which looks at the maximal
>>possible Hausdorff dimension of the set of singularities in the solution
>>to the Navier-Stokes equation.

> Does any of that involve transfinite induction?

Let me take this up later.

First, this result does use measure theory, and in this field the
notions of countability and uncountability play a very crucial role.
Without Cantor's diagonal argument, which is essential if one wishes to
see that a countable set has measure zero, you really cannot construct a
decent workable theory. The notion of Hausdorff measure in this context
really is something quite sophisticated, and unless you feel very easy
manipulating sets as if they were real objects, you are not going to
reach it.

Now as to transfinite induction - most non-set theoriest use this in the
form of Zorn's Lemma (transfinite induction and axiom of choice joined
together). Zorn's Lemma is the source of many important theorems,
including for example the Hahn-Banach Theorem, a result that is crucial
in the kind of analysis that is the background to much of the modern
study of fluid dynamics. Now its not to say that maybe each use of the
Hahn-Banach Theorem that is used by someone studying fluids might in its
context be provable without the full generality of the Hahn-Banach
Theorem, and might be provable without transfinite induction. But its
nice to know that even if one could prove it without transfinite
induction, that still we know that it is true in advance because we have
a proof that does use transfinite induction. (And in any case, if you
are deeply involved in fluid dynamics you simply don't have the time to
question every use of Hahn-Banach in this manner.)

Now I'm not saying that transfinite induction is correct. But I am
saying that so far we don't know of any flaws in it (or rather in the
set theory needed to support it), and in the meantime it provides such a
useful framework in which to do mathematics, even practical mathematics,
that it would be foolish to throw it away before we know what, if
anything, is wrong with it.

Stephen

Date Subject Author
7/12/06