The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Kevin Karn

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Russell Easterly wrote:
> "Kevin Karn" <kkarn@mail.com> wrote in message
>

> > Hugh Woodin is a con-artist/leech who needs to get a real job.
> > Ideally, what we need to do with people like Woodin, is haul them into
> > the dock for public hearings.
> >
> > "Where did that $1 million in federal grants you sucked down in the
> > last 15 years go, Mr. Woodin?

> $1 million in grants over 15 years is pretty pitiful for someone
> who is one of the top in his field.
> Even relatively minor cancer researchers make more than
> that a year.

Cancer researchers are doing something useful. Hugh Woodin isn't. In
terms of making a useful contribution to society, Hugh Woodin stands
exactly on a par with that Japanese hotdog eating champion. They're
both at the top of their fields, and their fields are totally useless
in both cases.

What did Hugh use the $1 million for? He's already making a
$100,000/year salary. So what's the $1 million for? Pencils? Chalk?
Pepsi? Cancer researchers need money for equipment/supplies etc. What
do set theory researchers need money for? Nothing, so set theory is
obviously a scam.

> Pure mathematics doesn't get much funding and I doubt
> that set theory gets more than a fraction of that.

It's probably best to make judgments like that after looking into the
facts. Who's getting the money in math today? Who decides where the
money goes? It's time somebody took a good hard look at the "business"
of math.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?