The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 13 Jul 2006 18:46:19 -0700, "mariano.suarezalvarez@gmail.com"
<mariano.suarezalvarez@gmail.com> wrote:

>Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>> [snip]
>> The responses have led me to think that some people here believe in the
>> modern axiomatic system like a religion.

>An axiomatic system is just a method of singling out a set of
>propositions (those that follow from the axioms). For example,
>the Peano axioms for natural numbers select a very definite
>subset of all the posible propositions (those that follow from
>the axioms).
>
>Axiomatic systems are thus just tools. In particular, the idea
>of "believing in the modern axiomatic system" makes as
>much sense as that of "believing in hammers".

I suspect people do believe in hammers. They believe in their senses
for probably no better reason than they have no better alternatives to
believe in as long as they have to believe in something. And that
would seem to be the only alternative Aristotle's reliance on
syllogistic inference for the establishment of truth left them.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?