The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Gene Ward Smith

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gerry Myerson wrote:

> My experience on Usenet has been that, by and large, it is
> the cranks and trolls who resort to shouting, name-calling,
> and other rude behavior. Between george and Norm, who is
> displaying more crankish traits?

I'm hardly in a position to play Miss Manners, but I think one could
reasonably complain in both cases. One thing I am very tired of reading
on this list are the constant attempts to denigrate the mathematical
work of one distinguished mathematician or another, or one school of
mathematicians or another. I think ripping in to the positions people
take on the philosophy of mathematics is one thing, but treating the
mathematical work of the people involved is quite something else.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger