The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Mariano

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> mariano.suarezalvarez@gmail.com wrote:
> > Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> >

> >>[snip]
> >>The responses have led me to think that some people here believe in the
> >>modern axiomatic system like a religion.

> > An axiomatic system is just a method of singling out a set of
> > propositions (those that follow from the axioms). For example,
> > the Peano axioms for natural numbers select a very definite
> > subset of all the posible propositions (those that follow from
> > the axioms).
> >
> > Axiomatic systems are thus just tools. In particular, the idea
> > of "believing in the modern axiomatic system" makes as
> > much sense as that of "believing in hammers".

> I disagree.

I honestly do not see what are you disagreeing with.

I cannot imagine you are disagreeing with my statement
that axiomatic systems are descriptions of sets of propositions;
this statement is completely equivalent to the statement that
Chomski grammars are descriptions of sets of words.

I could understand if your point was that axiomatic systems
make lousy descriptions of sets of propositions and/or that
what the sets of propositions described by the "usually
acepted" axiomatic systems is not the set one would be
most interested in describing (be it because they include
propositions which "should" be false, be it because they do
not include propositions which "should" be true, and so on)

To the first point I would probably respond that in the
whole history of mankind the number of effective alternatives
to the axiomatic method that we have devised is zero.

The second point is not a problem with the axiomatic method,
but with the fact that the usually used axiom systems may do not
model what you (or I) believe that should be true or false.

Yet most people end up agreeing that Banach-Tarski's paradox
is a fair price to pay for the existence of maximal ideals in
arbitrary commutative rings, say. And no one lost any sleep
when Shelah proved that the answer to Whitehead's conjecture
depends on the set theory chosen: my guess for this is that
essentially no one who has thought deeply about the issue has
any real intuition as to what the answer should be, so it is not
a problem if changing the set theory used changes the answer.

And that puts to the fore what it is that people believe in:
their idea of what things should be, the set of propositions
they believe/feel/intuit should hold. Now that set of propositons
is very hard to communicate and it will certainly not work to base
mathematics on "what Mr. X believes sets are" because eventually
Mr. X will die and the decision procedure which consists in
"asking Mr. X on the truth of propositions relative to sets" will
stop working.

Axiom systems are a tool used when trying to describe the set
of propositions people believe should hold. What people believe
in precedes the axiom system. If some one came up with an
alternative way of describing the kind of sets of propositions that
people have in mind when they think about the integers, say, then
people will try to describe the set of propositions about the
integers that they believe should hold using that new method.

In short, what I am saying is: what people believe in precedes
axiom systems (which are just an imperfect way of conveying it)

-- m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?