The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

dkfjdklj@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gene Ward Smith wrote:
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>

> > This whole thread has left a bad taste in my mouth because of the speed
> > at which people were willing to spew abuse on him.

> If Norm's article had not been very rude, which it was, I think the
> response would have been different.
>

> > There is clearly a problem that there are
> > numbers between 1 and googolplex that we can never write down or
> > meaningfully describe. What makes us think that they are really there?
> > The evidence is at best empirical.

> Saying you are not allowed to prove the fundamental theorem of number
> theory strikes me as a really, really, really bad way to try to do
> number theory, and speaking of religion, it seems almost like a
> religious objection here.

First, I think Norm is incorrect in saying the fundamental theorem of
number theory cannot be proven. He believes he has a counterexample,
and this is what he says:

"For example c+23 is almost surely such a number---I claim it has no
prime factorization. Neither you nor I nor anyone ever living in this
universe will ever be able to factor this number, since most of its
`prime factors' are almost surely so huge as to be inexpressible, which
means they don't exist."

Suppose the usual prime factors don't exist. Then that would simply
mean that other numbers become prime - and a prime factorization still
exist. That is, suppose in standard arithmetic (c+23) = a*b. And
suppose that, unlike (c+23), a and b are too big to write down, so in
Norm's world they do not exist. Well if they do not exist, then (c+23)
is a prime number, because it cannot be factored into anything other
than itself and 1. Prime factorization holds.

Here's a system which captures, I think, Norm's intutition. Consider
second-order PA without the successor axiom (that every number has a
successor) - call this F. F does not assume there is a maximum number
(i.e. a number which does not have a successor) - it is simply agnostic
about the matter, neither assuming nor not assuming it. Note in
passing that in F you can prove the existence and uniqueness of prime
factorization. This is not Norm's world, because in Norm's world the
natural numbers have gaps, and in F the natural numbers do not have
any gaps. That is, in F, if n exists, then all numbers less than n (to
speak loosely) also exist.

To get gaps, consider this system: define a *second-order natural
number* to be a function from a set {x : x <= n} to N union
{"(",")","+","-","*","/","^"} where certain conditions have to hold.
These conditions are precisely the ones that the function maps to a
term. For instance, f below is an example of a second-order natural
number

f(0) = "("
f(1) = "("
f(2) = 3
f(3) = "^"
f(4) = 2
f(5) = ")"
f(6) = "+"
f(7) = 1
f(8) = ")"

So f represents ((3 ^ 2) + 1). Now it cannot be shown in F that
second-order natural numbers do not have gaps. (And if one added to F,
contra the Successor Axiom, that there is a maximum number, then one
would be able to prove that there are indeed gaps.) Still, it seems
to me very straight-foward to prove the existence and uniqueness of
Prime Factorization for second-order natural numbers.

Anyone who is interested in "Arithmetic without the Successor Axiom"
can consult my text here: www.andrewboucher.com/papers/arith-succ.pdf

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?