The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Mariano

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> I read what you wrote, and I admit I am not quite getting it. So let me
> describe my position and hope that it is a worthy response to what you
> wrote. I'm not quite sure whether I am disagreeing with you or not.

You asserted that "the responses have led [you] to think that
some people here believe in the modern axiomatic system
like a religion". I replied that "believing in the axiomatic system"
does not make sense, because axiomatic systems are just a way
to describe a set of propositions, and you said "[you] disagree".
I assumed you meant that.

In any case, there is no obligation to agree or disagree (despite
what one might think after reading certain newsgroups ;-) ) One
can simply be interested in trying to understand what others think.

> There is a way in which people try to persuade other people of their
> belief system. I think that our current scheme (axioms, tautologies,
> modus ponens etc) we use in math is a very good description of what we
> feel are really effective ways of persuading other people. (Of course
> we know that using pure reason doesn't work with most people, but we
> have this sense that there is a Platonic reality as to how an ideal
> argument should work.) However, I believe that our ultimate sense of
> what we think is true and not true comes down to simply "what do I
> believe." And the methods of logical deduction are no more than one
> other set of things that I simply "believe."

IME, it is not only that axiom systems and formal theories are good
at persuading other people. And it is not only that they are good in
modeling our intuitions (what we believe). They are actually good at
modeling reality. Say, ZFC and its deduction means can be used to
model the physics of elementary particles so well that at the moment
we cannot carry on experiments fine enough to confirm the predicted
mass of the electron with the precision we are able to compute.

I wouldn't say I believe in logical deduction. I'd be symtomatically
more verbose: I believe in there is a "reality", external from myself
and from by beliefs. I do not know if we can know that reality (I do
not even know what that means, in fact). But I know that we can attempt

to build models of it. And so far, the models we have built, using
modus
ponens, and logical deduction in general, have been quite good.

> On a completely different tack, while methods of logical deduction seem
> to be a good description of how to do mathematics, I don't think it is
> how mathematicians really think. The example I would cite is Euler's
> (rather brilliant) discovery that sum 1/n^2 = p^2/6 (which basically
> involves pretending that the Taylor series of sin(x)/x is a polynomial).
> His original proof certainly was not rigorous. Rather it was a flash
> of insight, and certainly thinking out of the box.

No one who knows how a mathematician works, and least of
all a working mathematician, would ever say that mathematicians
work by logic deduction. Insights do not come in the form of
chains of applications of modus ponens.

If you think about it, the fact that such a limited tool as the
axiomatic system, and formal theories in general, with not much
more than modus ponens, provides a good model for genial
intuitions such as Euler's, is one of the things that validates it.

-- m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?