The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Gene Ward Smith

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gerry Myerson wrote:

> The independence of the parallel postulate doesn't make anyone
> worry, because no one says you can carry out the proof of Fermat
> in Euclidean geometry. The independence of the continuum
> hypothesis says we really don't understand sets, and that's a worry.

It says we don't completely understand sets, but it also says most of
the time, we don't need to. ZFC, which cannot settle the the continuum
question, is actually stronger than we need most of the time. Most of
the time, second order arithmetic would be fine. While in fact FLT was
not proven in a system that weak, it's extremely likely that it could
be, and we know that for a huge bunch of mathematics, it suffices.

On the other hand, sometimes painful issues do arise. The Whitehead
problem, whether or not Ext^1(A, Z)=0 for A an abelian group entails
that A is free, was a shocker to algebraists, you may recall. We would
like to think what seem like basic algebraic questions of that nature
are independent of set theory considerations--and usually, they are.
But not this time, and in fact the whole question is bound up with the
continuum hypothesis.

Cabal-type intutions, that the continuum hypothesis is false and
Martin's axiom true, lead to one answer, whereas the minimalist
hypothesis that all sets are constructible leads to another. You get
the exact same division over Suslin lines; there are two very different
flavors of set theory extensions which these reflect.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger