The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

dkfjdklj@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gene Ward Smith wrote:
> abo wrote:
>

> > Here's a system which captures, I think, Norm's intutition.
>
> This does exactly what I complained Norm doesn't do, which is to write
> down some axioms. As a result, you can get mathematical results instead
> of just engaging in diatribes. Needless to say, I think this is a
> better approach, but it's not clear to me that this is Norm's intution.
>
> How strong a consistency result can you prove in "F"?

If you let GProv(n,m) be the normal formula which says that n is the
Godel number of a proof in F of a formula with Godel number m, and you
let z be the Godel number of "!0=0", then you can prove (in F) that "!
(there exists n) GProv(n,z)".

There is also another way to represent consistency. Since one is
working in second-order logic, one has second-order relationships which
can express sequences. So proofs and wffs, which after all are
sequences of symbols, can be represented by second-order letters. So
one can also consider a formula Prov(R,S) which says that R (a
second-order entity) is a sequence of a proof in F of the formula S.
Then F also proves "!(there exists P)Prov(P,Z)", where Z is the
sequence representing "!0=0".

The method of the proof is the same. F has as models the standard
model of N as well as all initial segments {x : x<= n}. In particular
it has the singleton model, {0}, where there is only one first-order
entity, 0, and there are only two second-order entities, the non-empty
and the empty. Now suppose (working in F) there is a proof of an
inconsistency in F. Then one is able to express the notion of
truth-in-the-singleton-model for all formulas in the proof. Since the
axioms are true and the methods of inference preserve truth (again,
provable in F), any conclusion must be true-in-the-singleton-model.
But "!0=0" is not true-in-the-singleton-model. This is a
contradiction, so there is no proof of an inconsistency in F.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger