The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Lee Rudolph

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

"Gene Ward Smith" <genewardsmith@gmail.com> writes:

>On the other hand, sometimes painful issues do arise. The Whitehead
>problem, whether or not Ext^1(A, Z)=0 for A an abelian group entails
>that A is free, was a shocker to algebraists, you may recall.

And yet (perhaps tellingly, perhaps not) Osofsky's result wasn't--as
far as I've ever been able to see--considered to be a shocker, or
even more than a mild "ho hum", among topologists (at least, geometric
topologists), though Whitehead (J.H.C.) brought up the problem for
topological reasons in a topological context. As a matter of fact
and practice, (geometric) topologists never (or hardly ever) need
to deal with spaces so "big" that that independence result makes any
difference to them. Similar comments apply, less strongly, to similar
independence results in point-set topology (in my opinion; some
people who style themselves "point-set topologists" look--to the
extent that there are still any of them on the hoof--like straight
out "logicians with an interest in pathology" to most other topologists).

>We would
>like to think what seem like basic algebraic questions of that nature
>are independent of set theory considerations--and usually, they are.
>But not this time, and in fact the whole question is bound up with the
>continuum hypothesis.
>
>Cabal-type intutions, that the continuum hypothesis is false and
>Martin's axiom true, lead to one answer, whereas the minimalist
>hypothesis that all sets are constructible leads to another. You get
>the exact same division over Suslin lines; there are two very different
>flavors of set theory extensions which these reflect.

And yet life goes on. Amazingly.

Lee Rudolph

Date Subject Author
7/12/06