The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:18:22 -0400, Hatto von Aquitanien
<abbot@AugiaDives.hre> wrote:

>guenther vonKnakspot wrote:
>

>> Hatto von Aquitanien wrote:
>>This
>> is not howewer the flawed reasoning that I am refering to. I am talking
>> much baser contentions made by the ill educated like denying the
>> existence of certain mathematical objects on the ground that they can
>> not be physically constructed. An example would be the set of Natural
>> Numbers whichs existence is denied because there are not sufficient
>> atoms in the universe to build a tangible physical representation of
>> it, or specific irrational numbers on on the same grounds pertaining to
>> their decimal base representation.

>I don't know that such an opinion is ill-educated or merely unpersuasive.
>OTOH, I don't believe that is the essence of most objections to the concept
>of infinite sets. For myself, I am willing to consider the existence of
>infinite sets without much reservation. At the same time, I believe that
>arguments and reasoning applicable to finite sets should be applied with
>caution to infinite sets, and carefully scrutinized to determine if it
>makes sense in any given instance.

Golly, it's a good thing you pointed that out! Most mathematicians
don't realize this - for decades we've all been under the impression
that anything that works for finite sets also works for infinite
sets.

Duh.

>>> http://metamath.org/

>> I agree with the idea that mathematical proofs should be machine
>> verifiable; as long as this is a statement about computer science and
>> not about mathematics.

>One might argue that this is merely using the computer as a tool.

************************

David C. Ullrich

Date Subject Author
7/12/06