The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Daryl McCullough

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith says...

>Gene Ward Smith wrote:

>> If Norm's article had not been very rude, which it was, I think the
>> response would have been different.

>I would describe it as provocative rather than rude. He had a very
>forceful style, but his language stayed professional.

Are we talking about
http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~norman/papers/SetTheory.pdf

It might be professional in *tone*, but what it is saying
has no content other than to be insulting. I've just reread
the paper, and page after page contains *no* mathematical
or logical reasoning, it simply makes one unsupported,
insulting claim after another.

* modern mathematics doesn't make sense

* mathematicians don't properly understand the content of
high school mathematics

* modern mathematics is like a religious cult

* the definition of a real number as an equivalence class of
Cauchy sequences is a joke

Can you point out a *single* substantive claim in the
entire paper?

The problem here is that he is mixing up two completely different
"complaints" about modern mathematics: (1) His ontological/metaphysical
misgivings about the axiom of infinity, and (2) the nonrigorous way
that *elementary* mathematics is taught. There really is no connection
between these two complaints, as far as I see. He certainly gives no
coherent argument for the connection.

He complains that high school mathematics teachers can't readily give
a clear answer to such questions as "what is a fraction?", "what is
a real number?", "what is a function?", "is a polynomial a kind of
function?". That's probably true, but what that reflects is lack of
consensus about the best *pedagogical* approach to explaining these
topics, not because there is any lack of rigor in the modern
mathematical understanding of them.

What he's really pointing to is the size of the gap between
mathematical foundations and the practice of
elementary mathematics. Learning how to work with real
numbers, to add them, divide them, etc. is very far removed
from consideration of reals as "equivalence classes of Cauchy
sequences of rationals". What exactly a real *is* is almost
irrelevant.

Perhaps that means that the reals should be introduced in
an *operational* way, by saying something like a real number
is something that you can add, subtract, multiply, etc. But
that approach is *more* axiomatic than the set-theoretic
approach. I don't see how it is more foundational.

I really don't see that Norm's complaints in this paper
have any coherence at all. If someone wants to defend
this paper, how about quoting a *single* paragraph that
is insightful?

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY