The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Stephen Montgomery-Smith

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

guenther vonKnakspot wrote:

> I agree with you in that it is not a crackpot view that "mathematics
> should try to constrain itself to physical reality". It is however a
> very deplorable one, comparable to an intelligent person intentionally
> constraining himself to the intellectual level of his environment.

I answered this elsewhere. I think my statement has been
overinterpreted. What I meant was that mathematicians should use
reality as a guide. Otherwise they may fall into the trap of discussing
things that future generations will compare to discussions about how
many angels can fit onto a pinhead.

> But
> this is not the point that Wildberg is trying to make. His assertion is
> that Mathematics IS constrained by physical reality. For example, he
> claims that there are numbers which have no prime factorization,
> because the process of factorization can not be accomplished in terms
> of physical reality.<quote>It follows that long before you get to W you
> are going to reach numbers whose prime factorizations are impossible,
> since some of the factors, if they existed, would require more room to
> write down than W.</quote>
> That is an astonishing claim coming from someone who is in charge of
> teaching mathematics at an university, and I would definitely qualifiy
> it as a crackpot view.

I don't think that this assertion of his makes him into a crackpot. I
think it is a rather intelligent point of view. That is not to say that
I personally disagree with him. I think that resitricting numbers to
those that you can compute is not the way to solve these philosophical
issues. I myself do (sort of) believe in all the numbers between 1 and
googolplex. But I think that the philosophical issues he raises are
important, and that his viewpoint is legitimate.

Stephen

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?