The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

guenther.vonKnakspott@gmx.de

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Gerry Myerson wrote:
> > In article <1152780141.601454.288500@35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

> >>Norm apparently puts number theory in that category.

> > For what it's worth, Norm has written papers in number theory,
> > e.g.,
> >
> > MR1314396 (96a:11029) Wildberger, N. J. Row-reduction and invariants of
> > Diophantine equations. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. Math. Sci. 104 (1994),
> > no. 3, 549--555.
> >
> > Whether this was before he came to his current views on set theory,
> > I do not know.

> This affirms what I felt about the OP, that while his views are
> unpopular, he is not a crank. (I also just checked him out on
> MathSciNet, and it is obvious that he is an active research
> mathematician.) In my opinion, his remarks about the natural numbers
> are spot on. The only way I disagree with him is that I don't think
> that now is the time to work on these problems.
>
> This whole thread has left a bad taste in my mouth because of the speed
> at which people were willing to spew abuse on him. Just because he has
> a superficial resemblence to crankpot anti-Cantorians doesn't make him
> one. His views are controversial, but that doesn't mean we respond
> rudely, rather it gives us an opportunity to engage in civilized
> conversation. Even if we end up still disagreeing, we might have
> learned something, or at least honed our arguments better.
>
> Now, one of the respondents said that Norm had rejected the axiom of
> infinity, and so how is he supposed to do number theory. But nowhere in
> his article has he rejected the axiom of infinity. He has rejected the
> whole notion that axioms are the way to go. I would paraphrase what he
> said slightly differently - axioms (might) describe the natural numbers,
> but they don't define them. There is clearly a problem that there are
> numbers between 1 and googolplex that we can never write down or
> meaningfully describe. What makes us think that they are really there?
> The evidence is at best empirical.

Think about your above paragraph for a minute. Do you really think that
the Number 2 is more real than some natural number which has never been
mentioned or even thought of? Do you really think that "2" is the
Number 2 ? "2" is the representation in one particular language of the
name in one particular language of the Number 2. The Number 2 is
neither its name in any language nor the representation of any such
name in any particular language. The Number 2 is something which does
not exist physically and can not be experienced by the senses. It is an
abstract concept as are all other numbers.

> The responses have led me to think that some people here believe in the
> modern axiomatic system like a religion.

This is also one of Wildberger's assertions, one that has caused much
anger. I don't think any serious mathematician "believes" the axioms or
in the axioms. Mathematicians agree to use a set of axioms as the
foundation of the formal system they are concerned with.
Regards.

> Stephen

Date Subject Author
7/12/06