The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Hatto von Aquitanien

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Richard Henry wrote:

> David C. Ullrich wrote:

>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:52:31 -0400, Hatto von Aquitanien
>> <abbot@AugiaDives.hre> wrote:

>> >If you cannot recursively enumerate it, you can't count it.
>>
>> That depends on exactly what you mean by "count it". And it
>> has no relevance at all to the fact that there exist countable
>> non-re sets (luckily "countable" does have a precise definition).

> I was taught that a set is "countable" if there exists a one-to-one
> correspondence between the elements of the set and the natural
> (counting) numbers.

Long before David's troll I had already retracted my statement. In the case
of finite systems, there is no consequential distinction between the
concepts of recursive enumerability. What had been stated is that there
are 1-1 mappings to the natural numbers which are not recursively
enumerable. Since I have grown very suspicious of the idea of manipulating
the set of natural numbers using operations originally developed for finite
sets, when I saw the claim that these mappings were countable and yet
uncomputable, I over reacted in defense of rationality. I had failed to
realize that the elements could be counted anonymously.

But as a general rule, I'm not going to accept definitions of terms such as
countable which are not consistent with one cow, two cows, three cows...
--
Nil conscire sibi

Date Subject Author
7/12/06