The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 14 Jul 2006 00:10:22 -0700, "guenther vonKnakspot"
<apacur@gmail.com> wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> >And furthermore, such claims of "should" seem to be moving targets.
>> >
>> >For instance: the claim that "there is no such thing as a physical
>> >infinity" is a relatively recent "physical truth". As late as the
>> >1960's, a cosmology consisting of an infinite, steady state universe
>> >was still being debated.
>> >
>> >That isn't to say that I do or don't find the steady state type
>> >theories compelling. What I find is that those who claim that the
>> >concept of mathematical infinity is suspect because "there can be no
>> >such physical thing as infinity" tend to be myopic regarding the
>> >history of what has been accepted as reasonable physical models of our
>> >universe; and close-minded regarding the possibility that further data
>> >may change scientific opinion once again.

>> It occurs to me that physical arguments related to mathematical
>> infinities are the rather ugly stepchildren of a finite universe and
>> empirical utilitarian justifications for science and mathematics.
>>
>> ~v~~

>Greetings Zick, I completely agree with the second. It seems we can not
>even manage to be antagonic on every occasion.
>Regards.

Hey, Guenther. This seems to be a first. Of course you realize if you
agree with me here you implicitly agree with me everywhere; you just
don't realize it yet?

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06