The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Gene Ward Smith

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2006 19:35:42 -0700, "Gene Ward Smith"
> <genewardsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

> >I'm hardly in a position to play Miss Manners, but I think one could
> >reasonably complain in both cases. One thing I am very tired of reading
> >on this list are the constant attempts to denigrate the mathematical
> >work of one distinguished mathematician or another, or one school of
> >mathematicians or another. I think ripping in to the positions people
> >take on the philosophy of mathematics is one thing, but treating the
> >mathematical work of the people involved is quite something else.

> And how exactly does one distinguish one from the other?

If they prove theorems, they are doing mathematics. In which case, keep
your greasy paws off of them in terms of philosophy, and look at the
proofs and theorems.

People who
> call themselves mathematicians invariably work within the context of
> one mathematical paradigm or another and one set of axiomatic beliefs
> or another.

This is quite false. Mathematicians can, and do, differ sharply on
philsophical issues, but can readily agree nonetheless on mathematical
issues.

> Their math is no more correct than the paradigm.

This makes no sense. Two people prove the same theorem independently,
and send it in for publication. One gets rejected because he holds the
wrong philosophical beliefs about mathematics, and hence his proof is
invalid. The other, who used the same proof, has his paper accepted
because his philosophy of mathematics is correct. What is wrong with
this picture?

You seem
> to suggest there is some way to distinguish mathematicians from their
> philosophy of mathematics.

One is a philosophy, and the other is an actual person. That works for
me.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?