The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Chas Brown

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> stephen@nomail.com wrote:
> > Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu> wrote:

> >>I answered this elsewhere. I think my statement has been
> >>overinterpreted. What I meant was that mathematicians should use
> >>reality as a guide. Otherwise they may fall into the trap of discussing
> >>things that future generations will compare to discussions about how
> >>many angels can fit onto a pinhead.

> > But opinions of reality change as well. When people were
> > considering the question of how many angels can fit onto a pinhead,
> > angels were considered a reality. The underlying question is,
> > how many infinitely small objects can fit into an infinitely
> > small space. The "reality" of infinitely small objects
> > is unknown. Electrons are currently believed to be point
> > particles, but that may change someday.

One difference between beliefs about electrons and beliefs about angels
is how such questions are to be resolved. I don't think Aquinas (see
below) was particularly /illogical/ in his /reasoning/ about angels;
but his source of "experimental data" was the Bible and the lives of
the saints, as opposed to real-world observations. So he wasn't doing
"science" as we now know it, but neither was he simply engaging in
poetic whimsy.

But to return to the current discussion, there is a (to me, obvious)
qualitative difference between asserting that electrons or angels are
actual entities "in the real world" having particular properties; and
asserting that there "exists" a well-ordering of the real numbers.

IMHO, asserting that "angels exist" is /always/ a statement about the
real world; whereas a claim that "the set of naturals as defined by
(the usual formulation) exists" is more in the nature of an agreement
that allows a mathematical argument to go forward, in spite of the
different philosophical positions readers of such an argument might
take regarding what the natural numbers "really are".

> Yes. I wish I knew what this "angels on a pinhead" argument was really
> about. I know that us moderns like to laugh at the old theologians for
> discussing this, but I wonder if I am only getting half the story, and
> in fact there are some very real issues at stake here.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_132.html

Apparantly, it's a matter of how many angels can dance on the /point/
of a very fine /needle/. Which makes more, less, or the same amount of
sense to consider, depending on your tastes.

At any rate, according to the above link, the reference is an
Enlightenment Era satirical jab at Thomas Aquinas, who instead inquired
whether several angels could be in the same place at once (his answer
was no).

Gotta love that Aquinas guy:

"That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more
abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in
hell" - Thomas Aquinas

Sounds a bit like the allure of reality-based TV shows.

Cheers - Chas

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?