The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

R. Srinivasan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> > guenther vonKnakspot wrote:

> >> Think about your above paragraph for a minute. Do you really think that
> >> the Number 2 is more real than some natural number which has never been
> >> mentioned or even thought of? Do you really think that "2" is the
> >> Number 2 ? "2" is the representation in one particular language of the
> >> name in one particular language of the Number 2. The Number 2 is
> >> neither its name in any language nor the representation of any such
> >> name in any particular language. The Number 2 is something which does
> >> not exist physically and can not be experienced by the senses. It is an
> >> abstract concept as are all other numbers.

> > I think your opening "think about it" sums it up best. The answer is
> > not obvious to me. I do personally hold some Platonic belief that each
> > of the natural numbers, even all of those between 1 and googolplex, have
> > an abstract existence. But I regard my viewpoint as more a statement of
> > faith (perhaps something that is quote self evident unquote) than
> > anything else. I think that questioning my viewpoint is a reasonable
> > thing to do and not at all crankish.

> Isn't there also a simplicity argument here? The set of all natural
> numbers, with no gaps and no end, is in many ways an easier thing to
> reason about than the set of natural numbers that someone, somewhere,
> has used or will use.

It is clear that if the set of (feasible) natural numbers that can be
"meaningfully described" (or constructed) exists, one must use some
kind of fuzzy reasoning to deal with such a set X. For X cannot have a
sharply defined maximum -- if it did have a maximum m, there is no
*conceptual* reason why m+1 should not be feasible. If one argues that
that all the resources available in the universe were used to construct
m, and on physical grounds m+1 cannot exist, it follows that no human
being can provide such a construction for m in his/her lifetime at
least. It then follows that no human being can provide a construction
for m-1, m-2, ... So one is again forced into the kind of
non-constructive reasoning that Wildberger is objecting to in the first
place. Such non-constructive reasoning with natural numbers will
probably be similar to non-standard analysis (m would be like a
non-standard integer) will definitely not be permitted in my proposed
logic NAFL.

I really doubt if ultra-finitism is the way to go when considering the
philosophical objections to infinite sets. I believe that the correct
resolution lies in NAFL, with N taken as a proper class rather than as
a set of natural numbers. The objections to inifnitary reaoning are
correctly captured by the NAFL ban on infinite sets and quantification
over infinite (proper) classes. See my arXiv paper <math.LO/0506475>,
which shows how nevertheless real analysis can be formulated in NAFL,
and suggests a new paradigm for computability theory as well. I suggest
that academicians -- i.e., mathematicians, theoretical computer
scientists, theoretical physicists, philosophers, logicians -- address
the issues raised in my work. A first step is to accept that the logic
NAFL has been propsed and examine it critically, objectively and
professionally. Wonder when this is going to happen and who is going to
bell the cat. Pretending that NAFL doesn't exist is not going to make
it go away.

Regards, RS

Date Subject Author
7/12/06