The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:11:48 +0200, Ralf Bader <bader@nefkom.net>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>

>> On 14 Jul 2006 12:30:47 -0700, "Gene Ward Smith"
>> <genewardsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>If they prove theorems, they are doing mathematics. In which case,
>>>keep your greasy paws off of them in terms of philosophy, and look at
>>>the proofs and theorems.

>> If one reasons in formal a priori terms one is doing math?
>>

>>> People who

>>>This is quite false. Mathematicians can, and do, differ sharply on
>>>philsophical issues, but can readily agree nonetheless on mathematical
>>>issues.

>> How about the axiomatic assumptions they reason from? Are they math or
>> greasy mathematical philosophy?

>>>This makes no sense. Two people prove the same theorem independently,
>>>and send it in for publication. One gets rejected because he holds the
>>>wrong philosophical beliefs about mathematics, and hence his proof is
>>>invalid. The other, who used the same proof, has his paper accepted
>>>because his philosophy of mathematics is correct. What is wrong with
>>>this picture?

>> How does one know whether any philosophy of math is correct or not? It
>> may or may not be conventional but whether or not it's correct in the
>> sense of being true is something axiomatic reasoners are not able to
>> address or demonstrate conclusively. If your complaint is that greasy
>> mathematical birds flock together,it's undoubtedly only because people
>> who deal in speculative assumptions of truth for axioms have no choice
>> because they have no better basis for demonstrating the truth of what
>> they assume to be true than their assumptions of truth.

>Why do you think that mathematical axioms, and therefore the theories
>derived from them, should be true?

Because the assumption of problematic axioms is trivial.

> Can a piece of music be true? An
>architect's plan for a building? A computer program?

Are any of these things constructed theoremetrically from demonstrably
true assumptions?

> I don't see any
>sense in asserting that the axioms of Euclidean geometry or of group
>theory are true or wrong.

But you see plenty of sense in assuming the truth of what you can't
demonstrate true or false?

> And this does not mean that axioms of this
>kind are arbitrary assumptions. There seem to be very few axiom systems
>that lead to interesting theories.

Arbitrary or not they're still assumptions.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?