The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Kevin Karn

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

R. Srinivasan wrote:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> > Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> > > I think your opening "think about it" sums it up best. The answer is
> > > not obvious to me. I do personally hold some Platonic belief that each
> > > of the natural numbers, even all of those between 1 and googolplex, have
> > > an abstract existence. But I regard my viewpoint as more a statement of
> > > faith (perhaps something that is quote self evident unquote) than
> > > anything else. I think that questioning my viewpoint is a reasonable
> > > thing to do and not at all crankish.

> > Isn't there also a simplicity argument here? The set of all natural
> > numbers, with no gaps and no end, is in many ways an easier thing to
> > reason about than the set of natural numbers that someone, somewhere,
> > has used or will use.

> It is clear that if the set of (feasible) natural numbers that can be
> "meaningfully described" (or constructed) exists, one must use some
> kind of fuzzy reasoning to deal with such a set X. For X cannot have a
> sharply defined maximum -- if it did have a maximum m, there is no
> *conceptual* reason why m+1 should not be feasible.

There is a big difference between doing operations on numbers, and
operations on letters.

For example, factoring letters is very easy. Suppose m is a million
digit number which has two prime factors. I can factor it in one
second, voila: m=pq.

Of course, this is completely useless, and is not factoring at all.
It's just *pretending* to factor. Take the method to the code-breakers
at the NSA, and they'll look at you like a fool. They aren't interested
in phony-factoring with letters. They're interested in real-factoring,
with numbers.

The same holds for this m+1 argument. Sure, you can always add one to
any letter, just like you can factor any letter into other letters. You
can't always add one to a number. To see that, try to express the m+1
argument again, without using letters. Express m and m+1 directly as a
specific numbers. Then the problem is evident. This is exactly
analogous to the fool who says: I can factor any number m into m=pq. He
suddenly has a problem if you force him to use specific numbers instead
of letters.

Letters are a deceiptful technique for pretending to do things you
actually can't do.

> If one argues that
> that all the resources available in the universe were used to construct
> m, and on physical grounds m+1 cannot exist, it follows that no human
> being can provide such a construction for m in his/her lifetime at
> least. It then follows that no human being can provide a construction
> for m-1, m-2, ... So one is again forced into the kind of
> non-constructive reasoning that Wildberger is objecting to in the first
> place. Such non-constructive reasoning with natural numbers will
> probably be similar to non-standard analysis (m would be like a
> non-standard integer) will definitely not be permitted in my proposed
> logic NAFL.
>
> I really doubt if ultra-finitism is the way to go when considering the
> philosophical objections to infinite sets. I believe that the correct
> resolution lies in NAFL, with N taken as a proper class rather than as
> a set of natural numbers. The objections to inifnitary reaoning are
> correctly captured by the NAFL ban on infinite sets and quantification
> over infinite (proper) classes. See my arXiv paper <math.LO/0506475>,
> which shows how nevertheless real analysis can be formulated in NAFL,
> and suggests a new paradigm for computability theory as well. I suggest
> that academicians -- i.e., mathematicians, theoretical computer
> scientists, theoretical physicists, philosophers, logicians -- address
> the issues raised in my work. A first step is to accept that the logic
> NAFL has been propsed and examine it critically, objectively and
> professionally. Wonder when this is going to happen and who is going to
> bell the cat. Pretending that NAFL doesn't exist is not going to make
> it go away.
>
> Regards, RS

Date Subject Author
7/12/06