The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Kevin Karn

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

R. Srinivasan wrote:
> [...]
> > R. Srinivasan wrote:

> > > It is clear that if the set of (feasible) natural numbers that can be
> > > "meaningfully described" (or constructed) exists, one must use some
> > > kind of fuzzy reasoning to deal with such a set X. For X cannot have a
> > > sharply defined maximum -- if it did have a maximum m, there is no
> > > *conceptual* reason why m+1 should not be feasible.

> > There is a big difference between doing operations on numbers, and
> > operations on letters.
> >
> > For example, factoring letters is very easy. Suppose m is a million
> > digit number which has two prime factors. I can factor it in one
> > second, voila: m=pq.
> >
> > Of course, this is completely useless, and is not factoring at all.
> > It's just *pretending* to factor. Take the method to the code-breakers
> > at the NSA, and they'll look at you like a fool. They aren't interested
> > in phony-factoring with letters. They're interested in real-factoring,
> > with numbers.
> >
> > The same holds for this m+1 argument. Sure, you can always add one to
> > any letter, just like you can factor any letter into other letters. You
> > can't always add one to a number. To see that, try to express the m+1
> > argument again, without using letters. Express m and m+1 directly as a
> > specific numbers. Then the problem is evident. This is exactly
> > analogous to the fool who says: I can factor any number m into m=pq. He
> > suddenly has a problem if you force him to use specific numbers instead
> > of letters.
> >
> > Letters are a deceiptful technique for pretending to do things you
> > actually can't do.

> Consider my objection made in the previoius post and cited below,
> namely, that it is *in principle* impossible for any human being to
> know what m is (leave alone construct it), based on the criteria laid
> out by Norman Wildberger. For NW suggests that the number of particles
> in the universe should determine m, the maximum natural number. But
> what are particles, what is the universe? We human beings simply
> *postulate* stuff like "particles" and the "universe" through our
> theories. There is *in principle* no other way for us to access these
> entities -- even the experiments we make only access these particles
> indirectly, through our theories. Therefore if at all it is possible
> for us to know what m is, it is only through our theories; but in order
> to have a theory T about particles and the universe, T must already
> have access to natural numbers as postulates. So if at all one can
> arrive at a construction for m, it is possible only by circular
> reasoning and one has to resort to Platonism or realism (particles
> "really" exist, the universe is "really" what our theories say it is,
> etc.) to overcome the circularity. In any case m can *in principle* be
> specified only non-constructively by us humans, as noted below. So NW's
> thesis is subject to the same sort of objections that he makes about

Yes, I see what you're saying. But why not reject both set theory, and
NW's theory about m? Why is it important to concern ourselves with
infinity, or with m (which, for all practical purposes, is an analog of
infinity)? Why not just ignore them both?

(In terms of the theory of computation, I would state the position this
way: There are no infinite tapes. Therefore, it is sufficient to study
finite automata. This doesn't mean we have to establish a certain m,
which is the maximum size of any possible FA. It just means we don't
concern ourselves with impossible things, like infinite tapes. You can
reject infinity without specifying m. You just ignore them both. What
this looks like to the casual observer is a scientist simply studying
real machines, and avoiding metaphysical tangents.)

What is the scientific reason why we have to pay attention to concepts
like infinity and m, which are so utterly removed from our experience?
Surely we don't have to take a stand on these issues for practical
reasons. So why is it necessary to take a stand?

> Regards, RS
>

> > > If one argues that
> > > that all the resources available in the universe were used to construct
> > > m, and on physical grounds m+1 cannot exist, it follows that no human
> > > being can provide such a construction for m in his/her lifetime at
> > > least. It then follows that no human being can provide a construction
> > > for m-1, m-2, ... So one is again forced into the kind of
> > > non-constructive reasoning that Wildberger is objecting to in the first
> > > place. Such non-constructive reasoning with natural numbers will
> > > probably be similar to non-standard analysis (m would be like a
> > > non-standard integer) will definitely not be permitted in my proposed
> > > logic NAFL.
> > >
> > > I really doubt if ultra-finitism is the way to go when considering the
> > > philosophical objections to infinite sets. I believe that the correct
> > > resolution lies in NAFL, with N taken as a proper class rather than as
> > > a set of natural numbers. The objections to inifnitary reaoning are
> > > correctly captured by the NAFL ban on infinite sets and quantification
> > > over infinite (proper) classes. See my arXiv paper <math.LO/0506475>,
> > > which shows how nevertheless real analysis can be formulated in NAFL,
> > > and suggests a new paradigm for computability theory as well. I suggest
> > > that academicians -- i.e., mathematicians, theoretical computer
> > > scientists, theoretical physicists, philosophers, logicians -- address
> > > the issues raised in my work. A first step is to accept that the logic
> > > NAFL has been propsed and examine it critically, objectively and
> > > professionally. Wonder when this is going to happen and who is going to
> > > bell the cat. Pretending that NAFL doesn't exist is not going to make
> > > it go away.
> > >
> > > Regards, RS

Date Subject Author
7/12/06