The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Dave Seaman

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 02:18:22 -0400, Hatto von Aquitanien wrote:
> "With a *well* *ordered* *finite* *set* , we can count from either
> end.  Reversing the order makes sense, etc.  We can't do that with infinite
> sets."

That is nothing more than the definition of what it means for an ordinal
to be infinite. One of them, anyway. In fact, it's the very one that I
have been using in my discussion with Russell Easterly.

Definition. An _ordinal_ is a transitive set that is well
ordered by set membership.

Definition. An ordinal is called _finite_ if it is also
well ordered by the inverse of set membership. An ordinal
that is not finite is called _infinite_.

Definition. A _natural number_ is a finite ordinal.

Definition. A set is called _finite_ if it can be placed
in bijection with some natural number. Otherwise, the set
is _infinite_.

So you have said nothing more profound than "infinite ordinals are
infinite".

--
Dave Seaman
U.S. Court of Appeals to review three issues

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger