The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:38:33 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <nclgb2l3pbbl2cpooalu1jnivn6ak2tfvu@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:44:00 -0300, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
>> <spamtrap@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:

>> >No, only the fools.

>> You seem to have picked up an isolated comment of mine.
>>

>> >ROTF,LMAO! You can't prove *anything* without assumptions.
>> >
>> >*PLONK*

>> Well certainly you can't prove anything true with assumptions of
>> truth. I guess that means you can't prove much of anything
>> mathematically or otherwised except consistency with your assumptions
>> of truth.

>If one assumes that there are self evident truths, one has started with
>an assumption, and if one doesn't, then one must start by assuming
>something else.

Thanks for the assumption. You're conflating two different issues:
whether one has to start somewhere by assumption and whether where one
starts by assumption is demonstrably true. Conventionally one starts
with axiomatic assumptions and extrapolates various theorems
demonstrably consistent those axiomatic assumptions. However proof for
the axiomatic assumptions is generally ignored or appeals are made to
common sense dialectics instead of formal demonstration followed by
naive assertions that no alternative methodology is possible for no
better reason than we have to start somewhere by assumption and are
too lazy or stupid to figure out how to demonstrate the truth of our
initial assumptions.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06