The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:41:59 GMT, Stephen Montgomery-Smith
<stephen@math.missouri.edu> wrote:

>Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

>>> I think your opening "think about it" sums it up best. The answer is
>>> not obvious to me. I do personally hold some Platonic belief that
>>> each of the natural numbers, even all of those between 1 and
>>> googolplex, have an abstract existence. But I regard my viewpoint as
>>> more a statement of faith (perhaps something that is quote self
>>> evident unquote) than anything else. I think that questioning my
>>> viewpoint is a reasonable thing to do and not at all crankish.

>> Isn't there also a simplicity argument here? The set of all natural
>> numbers, with no gaps and no end, is in many ways an easier thing to
>> reason about than the set of natural numbers that someone, somewhere,
>> has used or will use.

>I have always regarded this kind of occum's razor type argument as a
>rule of thumb rather than a hard and fast method of deduction. But I
>think you make a good point - if we restrict ourselves to only saying
>that computable numbers exist, we leave a lot of very awkward gaps in
>the natural numbers. (I mean, how do you even properly define
>'computable' - Cantor type diagonal arguments are always going to say
>any definition is incomplete, like 'the smallest number that cannot be
>described in less than 13 words.')

If we're to take Turing at his word I suspect computable numbers are
nothing more than what can be produced using Turing mechanics.

>His argument about his number having 'in effect' no prime factorization
>is also interesting. Presumably he has some number theory argument that
>proves it has no small prime factors. But then he is implicitly
>accepting all the results that number theory produces. (I know that
>many of you exclaimed - "how can a university teacher say this kind of
>stuff" - but fully understanding the import of his statement means that
>one has already accepted the formal proof of the fundamental theorem of
>arithmetic - he is not saying the proof is wrong, rather he is saying
>that maybe the proof doesn't mean anything, or at least doesn't apply
>universally.)
>
>I also disagree with him that thinking of the real numbers as
>equivalence classes of Cauchy sequences of rational numbers is wrong (or
>a joke, as he puts it). While I concede the possibility that the
>underlying set theory in which this definition is made might be all
>screwed up, I feel that if or when we get set theory right, that the
>real numbers will still be equivalence classes of Cauchy sequences, only
>perhaps the word "equivlence class" will no longer represent a partition
>of sets, and similarly the phrase "Cauchy sequences" might be a more
>restrictive term. But conceptually, it really does capture what real
>numbers are all about.
>
>I don't know if the real numbers really do exist, but I think they do at
>least represent something concrete rather more than just computable real
>numbers. The concepts of completeness and compactness - in their more
>abstract forms - really do become important if one is studying
>differential equations and dynamical systems, particularly the kind of
>qualitative long term behavior described by things like strange
>attractors. I like the example of the Lorenz attractor
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenz_attractor which is an example of an
>ordinary differential equation in which the long term qualitative
>behavior can only be known if the initial data is known to an infinite
>precision. And in many cases, we don't yet know if equations that
>describe real life systems exhibit this kind of strange behavior
>(although we conjecture that they do).
>
>While I really do think the OP (Norm) is not a crank, I do think that
>his position does open up lots more problems than it purportedly solves.
> Nevertheless, it is interesting discussion.
>
>Stephen

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06