The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Patricia Shanahan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:41:59 GMT, Stephen Montgomery-Smith
> <stephen@math.missouri.edu> wrote:
>

>> Patricia Shanahan wrote:

>>> Isn't there also a simplicity argument here? The set of all natural
>>> numbers, with no gaps and no end, is in many ways an easier thing to
>>> reason about than the set of natural numbers that someone, somewhere,
>>> has used or will use.

>> I have always regarded this kind of occum's razor type argument as a
>> rule of thumb rather than a hard and fast method of deduction. But I
>> think you make a good point - if we restrict ourselves to only saying
>> that computable numbers exist, we leave a lot of very awkward gaps in
>> the natural numbers. (I mean, how do you even properly define
>> 'computable' - Cantor type diagonal arguments are always going to say
>> any definition is incomplete, like 'the smallest number that cannot be
>> described in less than 13 words.')

> If we're to take Turing at his word I suspect computable numbers are
> nothing more than what can be produced using Turing mechanics.

For every natural number n, there is a Turing machine that writes n "1"
symbols to its output tape.

"computability" in that sense only gets interesting for the real
numbers, where there is a subset for which there is a TM that, given
input k, can write the first k bits of its binary expansion, or equivalent.

Note that NW must mean something different by "computability" because he
says in http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~norman/papers/SetTheory.pdf,
"Think clearly about the subject for a few days, and you will see that
the computable real numbers are not countable, and are complete."

The set of all Turing machine computations (combination of a TM
specification and input) is countable, so his definition of "computable"
must include real numbers that are not the result of a TM computation.

Patricia

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?