Topic: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Replies: 25   Last Post: Jun 30, 2003 11:02 AM

Martin Cohen

Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space

David Petry wrote:
> David C. Ullrich <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote in message news:<68bjfv0qpm20kt7fgnup431sch6ii38hus@4ax.com>...
>

>>(Or maybe I'm wrong - how _does_ one give a proof that there
>>exist irrational numbers by "diagonalization"?

> Start with a list of rational numbers between 0 and 1, and
> diagonalize over the decimal expansions of those numbers. It
> works just fine. The technical detail of what to do with
> numbers that end in either all 9's or all 0's is easily
> handled, and in the end you get an honest-to-god irrational
> number.
>
> Comment: if the above proof were more widely known, there
> would be much less confusion about Cantor's nonsense.

How do you know that you can't select alternately 4 and 5
as the digit that does not match the n-th digit of the
n-th number. If you can do this, you get
.4545454545.... which is rational (45/99 = 5/11).

Martin Cohen

Date Subject Author
6/24/03
Read Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Kent Paul Dolan
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Julien Santini
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
David C. Ullrich
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Lee Rudolph
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
James Dolan
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
David C. Ullrich
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Virgil
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
David C. Ullrich
6/27/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Michael Stemper
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
David Petry
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Martin Cohen
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Virgil
6/29/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Martin Cohen
6/29/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Virgil
6/25/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Kent Paul Dolan
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Michael Hochster
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Virgil
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Denis Feldmann
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Denis Feldmann
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Kent Paul Dolan
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Denis Feldmann
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
David C. Ullrich
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
Kent Paul Dolan
6/26/03
Read Re: Grrrr! (was): infinite dimensional vector space
David C. Ullrich
6/26/03
Read al owens
yee22uuyee