The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Peter Webb

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

"Patricia Shanahan" <pats@acm.org> wrote in message
> [...]

>>> namely, that it is *in principle* impossible for any human being to
>>> know what m is (leave alone construct it), based on the criteria laid
>>> out by Norman Wildberger. For NW suggests that the number of particles
>>> in the universe should determine m, the maximum natural number. But
>>> what are particles, what is the universe? We human beings simply
>>> *postulate* stuff like "particles" and the "universe" through our
>>> theories. There is *in principle* no other way for us to access these
>>> entities -- even the experiments we make only access these particles
>>> indirectly, through our theories. Therefore if at all it is possible
>>> for us to know what m is, it is only through our theories; but in order
>>> to have a theory T about particles and the universe, T must already
>>> have access to natural numbers as postulates. So if at all one can
>>> arrive at a construction for m, it is possible only by circular
>>> reasoning and one has to resort to Platonism or realism (particles
>>> "really" exist, the universe is "really" what our theories say it is,
>>> etc.) to overcome the circularity. In any case m can *in principle* be
>>> specified only non-constructively by us humans, as noted below. So NW's
>>> thesis is subject to the same sort of objections that he makes about
>>> set theory.

>> I think I agree. Some people want to restrict mathematics
>> to what is *physically* possible. e.g.: Since it is physically
>> impossible to have an infinite number of objects, or to perform
>> an infinite number of actions, then completed infinities don't
>> exist. Since it is physically impossible to compute the value of
>> a nonrecursive function, then only recursive functions exist.
>> Since it is physically impossible to construct a non-measurable
>> set of reals, all sets are measurable.
>>
>> However, what is physically possible and what is not is determined
>> by the laws of physics, and we don't *know* those laws, a priori.
>> If mathematics is to apply to the real world, we should try to make
>> our mathematics general enough to cover all possibilities. Allowing
>> only finitistic mathematics is placing an a priori restriction on
>> what the possible laws of the world might be. How do *know* that
>> that's the way the world is?

> I agree, but would go a step further. Even if we know something cannot
> be a law of the world, in its full messy detail, it may be useful to
> study as an abstraction that cannot really exist.
>
> I don't believe infinite memory computers are physically possible, but
> infinite memory models of computation are a valuable simplification that
> lets us ignore the possibility of running out of memory.
>
> The set of all sets of the natural numbers may be an impractical object
> to deal with directly, but we want to be able to reason about many of
> its elements. Assuming the whole set exists, and examining rules for
> manipulating sets of natural numbers on that basis, is simpler than
> trying to come up with a definition of its "practical" subset.

Prime numbers don't appear in Nature (or rather, I know of only one recently
found example). This doesn't mean the study of number theory is invalid
because it has no "physical" models.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?