The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <0m5ib210u46v1rr9n6mc7dggfusf6gal12@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:38:33 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >In article <nclgb2l3pbbl2cpooalu1jnivn6ak2tfvu@4ax.com>,
> > Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> >> You seem to have picked up an isolated comment of mine.

> >> Well certainly you can't prove anything true with assumptions of
> >> truth. I guess that means you can't prove much of anything
> >> mathematically or otherwised except consistency with your assumptions
> >> of truth.

> >If one assumes that there are self evident truths, one has started with
> >an assumption, and if one doesn't, then one must start by assuming
> >something else.

> Thanks for the assumption. You're conflating two different issues:
> whether one has to start somewhere by assumption and whether where one
> starts by assumption is demonstrably true.

If what one starts by assuming were demonstrably true, one would not
need to assume it, one could demonstrate it instead.

I am asking whether one can start by assuming nothing and ever get
something from that nothing.

My own answer is "no".

Date Subject Author
7/12/06