The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <9v6ib25bjroo8lhqekd8gge65osno7jvbi@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:00:26 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >In article <6llgb2lar65t2mkfula3u31bdvk2cbkkgv@4ax.com>,
> > Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> >> Are you an idiot? If you define a circle as the "set of all points
> >> equidistant from any point" you are not using a set theory definition
> >> for a geometric figure?

> >As no set theory of my acquaintance requires any definition of
> >distances between points, I would say that any definition which does
> >refer to distances is certainly not purely set theoretic, and is at
> >least partly geometric.

> Of course it's geometric. That's the whole problem with "set of all
> points . . ." definitions in set theory. They just describe what is
> already known implicitly from other geometric assumptions and
> reasoning. They don't originate with set theory so claiming set theory
> in that form as a universal basis for all math is absurd. Yet set
> theorists go right ahead and proclaim such things all the time.

The issue is whether one can build an appropriate model for the geometry
one want within set theory. If one can, then the issue of whether that
is the only model becomes irrelevant.

> The other problem is that whatever the foundation of set theory may be
> every constituent definition is a critical part of the edifice. A
> chain is no stronger than its weakest link. What is it that proves
> "set of all points . . ." definitions true?

Definitions are neither "true" not "false", they just are.
More relevant questions are whether they are useful, or whether they can
be instanciated within the theory in which they have been made..

I've already gone round
> and round with mathematikers who conflate transcendental numbers with
> irrational numbers for no better reason that both are described in
> rational terms with non repeating fractional expansions when in point
> of fact one describes curves and the other straight lines.

Neither kind or numbers describe curves or lines at all, but every
transcendental is also irrational.

Perhaps Lester needs to go round and round with a few math text books
and math dictionaries.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?