The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:00:03 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <0m5ib210u46v1rr9n6mc7dggfusf6gal12@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:38:33 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >If one assumes that there are self evident truths, one has started with
>> >an assumption, and if one doesn't, then one must start by assuming
>> >something else.

>> Thanks for the assumption. You're conflating two different issues:
>> whether one has to start somewhere by assumption and whether where one
>> starts by assumption is demonstrably true.

>If what one starts by assuming were demonstrably true, one would not
>need to assume it, one could demonstrate it instead.

One always needs to assume whether assumptions ultimately turn out to
be true or false. This is true both of axioms and theorems.

>I am asking whether one can start by assuming nothing and ever get
>something from that nothing.

But you're misrepresenting the problem which is not whether one starts
out with assumptions but whether the assumptions one starts out with
are subject to proof or not.Not only axioms but theorems as well start
as speculative assumptions in the human mind. The difference is that
theorems are held to standards of proof of consistency with axioms but
axioms are not held to standards of proof of consistency with anything
at all except dialectical plausibility.

>My own answer is "no".

~v~~

Date Subject Author