The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:24:32 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <9v6ib25bjroo8lhqekd8gge65osno7jvbi@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:00:26 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >As no set theory of my acquaintance requires any definition of
>> >distances between points, I would say that any definition which does
>> >refer to distances is certainly not purely set theoretic, and is at
>> >least partly geometric.

>> Of course it's geometric. That's the whole problem with "set of all
>> points . . ." definitions in set theory. They just describe what is
>> already known implicitly from other geometric assumptions and
>> reasoning. They don't originate with set theory so claiming set theory
>> in that form as a universal basis for all math is absurd. Yet set
>> theorists go right ahead and proclaim such things all the time.

>The issue is whether one can build an appropriate model for the geometry
>one want within set theory. If one can, then the issue of whether that
>is the only model becomes irrelevant.

No the issue is whether set theory can be used to define circles. In
present form elicited from various supporters of set theory it can't.

>> The other problem is that whatever the foundation of set theory may be
>> every constituent definition is a critical part of the edifice. A
>> chain is no stronger than its weakest link. What is it that proves
>> "set of all points . . ." definitions true?

>Definitions are neither "true" not "false", they just are.

Thanks for explaining that definitions are arbitrary assumptions of
truth. I strongly suspect we already knew that.

>More relevant questions are whether they are useful, or whether they can
>be instanciated within the theory in which they have been made..

Well empirical utility is a measure of empirical utility not truth.

> I've already gone round
>> and round with mathematikers who conflate transcendental numbers with
>> irrational numbers for no better reason that both are described in
>> rational terms with non repeating fractional expansions when in point
>> of fact one describes curves and the other straight lines.

>Neither kind or numbers describe curves or lines at all, but every
>transcendental is also irrational.

So I've often heard from those who deny the possibility of truth but
proclaim it nonetheless when applied to their own parochial
assumptions of truth.

>Perhaps Lester needs to go round and round with a few math text books
>and math dictionaries.

Oh Lester has gone round and round with just about everything except
set theory definitions of circles, curves, and various other
mathematical trivia.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06