The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

R. Srinivasan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Soap_Dude wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've developed great interests in many areas related to pure and
> analitical sciences, especially physics, philosophy and math. This
> forum is a perfect place for me to learn some new materials. Since this
> is my first post in the forum, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm 17
> year old studen from Canada.
>
> So to the topic of set theory. I didn't get a chance ot read the whole
> of the arguments, but here is a fundamental problema friend of mine
> (also in high school) has raised.
> When numbers were invented by our ancestors, whether it is based on
> digits or otherwise, they were intuitively meant to be discrete. A man
> only had an integer amount of fingers. Well, that's a given. But when
> the Greeks finallized the concept of geometry which deals exclusively
> with space (which is assumed, axiomatically or not, to be continuous).
> In orde to give quantative measures of space, they employed the
> abstract concept of numbers. The mistake that the Greeks made was, in
> my opinion, that they employed a throughly discrete system of
> measurement to describe something that is by nature continuous. To the
> humble limits of my knowledge, no one bothered ask whether discrete
> systems are fit to describe continuity. A point has no dimension and
> thus, no length. A ray, however, has a one sided limit, but under our
> current mathematical systems there is no way to locate it if it is
> located at some real location. Hence, the concept of limits developed.
>
> I hightly believe in the computational view of mathematics. It is not
> that continuity does not exist, but our number system, which is based
> on the repeation of natural numbers (think PI or), is unable to locate
> it precisely. The process of constructing real numbers , or realizing
> them, undoutedly arises from manipulating natural numbers. The golden
> ratio for example ((1+5^(1/2))/2). The adaptations of the natural
> numbers into the real numbers inevitably raises problems about
> continuity, and perhaps about infinity as well.
>
> So in conclusion, there is a possibility that our number system might
> not be suitable to describe continuity without raising problems. Thank
> you for reading this. I hope I hadn't wasted you time.

Yes, I think you are right. Numbers alone aren't very satisfactory when
dealing with the continuum. I believe that both arithmetic and
diagrammatic concepts in Euclidean geometry are fundamental. E.g. a
line segment is a fundamental geometric entity and is not to be
visualized as being a set of points. See Sec. 4 my paper
<http://arxiv.org/abs/math.LO/0506475> which defines a limited version
of real analysis using this idea.

Regards, RS

Date Subject Author